//some 3rd party need geo

Networking 2 computers advice needed

ray27 08:35 14 Sep 04

My son has just received a new computer and he wants to connect this one to his old one so that the two grandchildren can use the same printer and broadband etc.

We don't feel confident enough to open them up so we have heard it is possible to set up a wireless network via the USB connectors.

Is this a difficult job considering that one computer has windows 98( last Edition ) and the other one has windows XP Home plus SP2

Can anyone advise us on what we would have to do and recommend the appropriate equipment needed

Many thanks for any advice

Ray

xania 09:16 14 Sep 04

There's plenty of advice available to talk you through opening up the box and installing network cards, so don't let that put you off. In any case, you may find that you old PC already has a network port on the motherboard - your new one almost certainly has one. This will be far better than USB which I have heard can create problems when networking. Either way, wired or wireless makes little difference, but wireless needs higher levels of security which could create more significant problems for the unwary.

Old Shep 09:30 14 Sep 04

This may help click here There is an 'idiots guide' by the FE on how to do it lower down the page.

ray27 10:15 14 Sep 04

Many thanks for the advice

I will check out the older computer and see if it has a network card and if it has we will go via that route and even if it hasnt we will try and insert one in the older comp as he dosnt mind opening up this one long as we dont have to open up the new one (the son is paranoid about interfering with it)
Many thanks
Ray

TomJerry 10:21 14 Sep 04

USB 2.0 Datalink Cable £11.74 click here.

I did not use it, but other users have used for networking click here

TomJerry 10:26 14 Sep 04

Wired solution: Dynamode USB 10/100 Rj45 Adapter £7.04 click here

Wireless Solution: Ebuyer 11Mbps Wirless (WI-FI) USB LAN Adapter (802.11b) £17.62 click here

ray27 10:38 14 Sep 04

As we are not sure of what is involved could some one explain what we would need in each computer?
Do we just buy the 2 devices that plug into the usb sockets and connect them via a coax cable ?

I then presume we of to configure the 2 computers in some way

any advice on this please would be very welcome
Kind regards Ray

starlet 11:57 14 Sep 04

We tried going down the road of using a cable between a win 98 and win 2000 and had a lot of problems, we have broadband and tried using a router,it is setup on the win 2000 comp pluged direct into the motherboard and is a four port meaning I can connect upto 4 comps into it, i had to install a lan card onto the win 98 very easy to do just plug it into a spare slot and install the driver and it was up and running, put a cable between the router and the lan and setup a shareing between the two comps on a network,then setup a shared folder to move files between the two,setup a shared printer, and the two can use the internet at the same time also I set it so my wifes e-mail goes into her win 98 and my e-mail into win 2000 the total cost was about £85.00 for router and lan card the best money I spent know it is so easy and quick to use for both of us and have not had any problems after two years.

Regards Starlet

TomJerry 12:31 14 Sep 04
  TomJerry 12:33 14 Sep 04

link Lan ports, use Cat4 Crossover cable

or use usb datalink cable

Stuartli 12:38 14 Sep 04

There is comprehensive information on networking in XP's Help and Support Centre.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…