networking?

Raquelmanny 23:28 09 Aug 04

Hi, I want to network my computer with my son's. I am on Freeserve Broadband running Xp pro, the other comp Xp home. I'd like to buy a networking kit thought it might be more simple. Any suggestions on the best and the easiest to set up. As I have tried before and failed miserably.
Thanks.

Strawballs 23:56 09 Aug 04

What OS did you use last time because when I was running 98SE I struggled and ended up getting help from a friend but now I am running XP pro on one machine I used it as the gateway(I am using hub not router as work where throwing away hubs at the time) went to control panel > network connections > left hand pane follow setting up small buisness or home network instructions piece of cake everything including internet connection shareing worked first time

SEASHANTY 00:03 10 Aug 04

Some networking info on this website but the setup is for XP to Windows 9xx. However there are some useful illustrations and other links.
click here
I presume that the Freeserve BB is ADSL via a BT line. Mine is NTL cable BB and I have my two PC's connected using a Linksys wired router which is probably the easiest way because the router does most of the work for you. Perhaps somebody using an ADSL kit with a router/modem will come in to advise on how they have their setup. Linksys also have some networking info on their education pages
click here

Raquelmanny 00:10 10 Aug 04

The first time i tried was with linsky's network in a box trying to network win98 to win Xp home. so i am now looking to upgrade the win 98 to xp pro and see how i get on.

TomJerry 00:11 10 Aug 04

If both machines have Ethernet (Lan) adaptor. All can be bought from ebuyer click here, cable less than £2, a Ethernet adaptor less than £5

You can also do it wireless way by buying two USB wireless stick £18.98 each click here

Raquelmanny 00:19 10 Aug 04

Is ethernet LAN adaptor same as network cards? Because do not think I have then installed. The usb sticks look good are they easy to set up?

Raquelmanny 00:30 10 Aug 04

click here
is this any good?

TomJerry 00:35 10 Aug 04

PC world's one should do the job.

Wireless one is better if two PCs in different rooms.

Raquelmanny 00:43 10 Aug 04

Do you think the network kit from pc world is the easy way to go then? Or is there a better
way?

TomJerry 00:52 10 Aug 04

Open up PC to fit network card. But other way will need similar work.

If you go for wireless usb stick solution, you do not need to open PC and also no cabling involved.

Raquelmanny 00:56 10 Aug 04

ok thanks tomjerry will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…