networking

oldstinky 19:43 23 Apr 04

can i connect ( network ) a pc with win98 to a pc with win xp home adition..i wish to have access to my files and folders e.t.c on my old win 98 by using my new pc win xp....
if so what do i need..and how do i do it..???
thanks...

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 23 Apr 04

2 network cards and a crossover calbe. WinXP should be albe to talk you through it.

Diodorus Siculus 19:54 23 Apr 04

Actually, WinXP will "walk" you through it, not "talk" you through it - that may come with Longhorn!

Marky_Bhoy 19:54 23 Apr 04

I dont think that there is any way around this problem.

You need to have XP on both machines.

SEASHANTY 19:55 23 Apr 04

This any help. How to share a broadband connection using Windows 98 and windows XP
click here

zed650 19:55 23 Apr 04

You can connect two PC’s together with a crossover cable, both PC's should have a network card fitted.

Configure the XP machine to be the host and by following the wizard, all should be fairly straight forward.

The wizard can be found under Start-Connect to-Show all connections, then press “set-up home or small office network” under Network Tasks.

Just follow the directions; you will need a floppy disk.

As a general rule it's best to temporarily disable any firewall software you may have.

Hope this helps.

Diodorus Siculus 19:58 23 Apr 04

Marky_Bhoy - what you say is true, to a point. If XP has NTSF formatting, then Win98 will not be able to read it. But if both have Fat32 then no problems should be encountered.

zed650 20:07 23 Apr 04

Be assured that you can network a Win XP (NTFS) with a Win 98SE (Fat32) using a crossover and two network cards.

It's reasonably straight forward, just follow the instructions. There will alway be people here to help if required.

If I can do it anyone can.

Zed.

Diodorus Siculus 20:09 23 Apr 04

zed650 - is it possible for the Win98 to read the XP NTFS formatted machine?

zed650 20:16 23 Apr 04

Diodorus Siculus

Both machines can read/Write etc. to each other as long as the folders/files are set to share over the network.

I'm not to clever with the TLA's but as far as successfully connecting these two types of format over this kind of network connection then yes it is possible.

oldstinky

Please post any response to the thread for the benefit of others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced