Networking

Eusebius 19:42 14 Jan 04

How come I have so much trouble networking when the wizard makes it look so easy. I got two network cards, cable ran the wizard, setup went fine. Icon shows it's all connected, but click on workgroup on the pc and it just shows the files shared by itself, click on workgroup on the laptop and error message comes up saying Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. PC is running XP Pro and laptop is running XP home. Where did I go wrong?? No-one seems to have asked a question about networking on this forum. Is it just me??

Smiler 19:46 14 Jan 04

Try typing "networking" into the box on the left. I just did and got three pages of results!!!!!!!!!!!

Eusebius 19:52 14 Jan 04

Thanks dude! Must have mistyped netwroking on my first search! Will trawl other contributions for some advice.

Smiler 19:55 14 Jan 04

Come back if you don't solve your problem form other postings.

jgosden 20:03 14 Jan 04

CHECK

workgroup is it the same on both pc's

CAN you ping the other pc

[start] [run] ping {pc name or ip here}

does it work?

does both pc's have unique name sand ipaddress
192.168.0.xxx

have you enabled file and printer sharing under network properties.

Eusebius 20:33 14 Jan 04

Did the ping thing and found laptop wasn't pinging pc. Disabled Norton Internet Security on laptop (not installed on PC) and now the situation has improved. On the Laptop I can see shared files on PC and can also use the PC's Internet connection, but the laptop doesn't show it's own shared folders under workgroup. However, the pc can still only see it's own shared folders and nothing on the laptop. Scratching my head now....

Eusebius 20:37 14 Jan 04

They do have different IP addresses although the subnet Mask for them is the same (pc shows manually configured - laptop shows assigned by DHCP)

johnem 20:42 14 Jan 04

Do you have Zone Alarm installed, if so check to see in the log viewer if ZA has blocked access very recently.

jgosden 20:42 14 Jan 04

ok so we are half way there now,

leave norton for now

make sure that both pcs are on the same workgroup

try doing

\\[computername] on main pc and see what happens.

Eusebius 20:44 14 Jan 04

I sent another ping from laptop to PC coz I couldn't think of anything else to try, and blow me down with a feather but now it all works! I see all files on both pc and laptop. But how and why does it all now work, I have no idea. I shall change the computer name to Hal. Thanks for everyone's help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5