Networking

cafc1962 14:47 28 Oct 03

Is it possible to build a home network with two PC's having different operating systems. i.e. one with XP and one with 98?. Help appreciated

Thanks

Terrahawk 14:51 28 Oct 03

yes it is the cheapest way would be two network cards and a cross over cable there are alternatives such as wireless depends on your budget really

cafc1962 14:57 28 Oct 03

Thanks Terrahawk. What I forgot to add was that I want to share a broadband connection between the two pc's aswell, so presumably I'll need a router?

WaiKent 14:59 28 Oct 03

yes you will need a router. i have differen OS too between two pcs and im just about to network them. one with xp and other wwith me.

Terrahawk 15:02 28 Oct 03

not essential you can set up ics without a router the downside being both machines would have to be running to use the internet asone would act as the gateway a router would allow them to connect independantly of each other

critic-al 17:05 28 Oct 03

probably get all your answers here....click here

Eagie 17:27 28 Oct 03

Once you have your two network cards and your crossover cable, use the network setup wizard on your xp machine - theres a setup option if you go into My Network Places. This will create a disk to setup your other machine.

Both machines will only have to be on if you want to use the internet connection on the machine that doesn't have the modem attached to it. Obviously if you want to use the internet on the machine with the modem attached you don't have to have the other one on. Unless you do get a router then it doesn't matter!

jonnytub 18:27 28 Oct 03

you could wirelessly connect your two pc's for a small price using to ?40 usb wireless adaptors setup in ad-hoc mode. this will also allow you surf the net although i've heard that it can be a little slow at times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…