networking

sgoku 16:31 10 Sep 03

Can any one tell me what is the cheapest and quickest way sharing a broadband internet connection from telewest across to computer one of which is downstairs and the other is up stairs, i only want to share the internet connection.

Mango Grummit 17:56 10 Sep 03

If you only want to share the internet connection then most ISPs will tell you how to do this (I think) except AOL, who I am with and do not support networking although it is easy to do.

Networking, on the other hand, is a separate issue but can never-the-less answer your requirement I guess. If so I suggest you close this thread, with an explanation as to why, and start another on networking.

M

Rogerfredo 19:13 10 Sep 03

The best (and easiest) way to share a broadband connection is to buy a hub and a couple of cat5 cables. Mine is from Belkin and is just a matter of plugging both computers into the hub and the cable modem also into the hub. (you need interface cards in each computer of course).Cost of a hub is about £40.

Forum Editor 19:25 10 Sep 03

is to buy a wireless router. You'll also need a wireless USB network adapter for each machine.

Set up the router, install the USB adapters, and enable Internet connection sharing in Windows on each machine.

In all, if you get a move on, you can do it in less than an hour.

You could also do it with a conventional router, conventional network cards, and CAT5 network cable running from each machine to the router. This method would take longer to set up (much longer), but would work perfectly well. It wouldn't save you a fortune over the wireless method though, and you would have to live with the network cable wandering around the house.

Provided the distance between the machines isn't vast I would go for the wireless solution every time.

I have read the Forum Editors note. Is this still the way to go if one pc is already fitted with a network card?

keith-236785 07:26 12 Sep 03

if your pc's already have a lan socket then you are probably looking at about a tenner for a suitable cable to link them together (crossover cat5 cable)

one point and apologies if i am wrong but i was under the impression that you only set up ICS on the pc with the internet connection.... if i am wrong it is probably why i cant get my network to work (although it did for a short while)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple