Networked security cameras over internet

HighTower 17:16 28 Dec 06

A friend of mine is taking over the running of a new bar and wants to install web cameras on the premises. The idea is that he can log on from home and see what's going on, aswell as having them watching tills and the like. Whilst this is a standard practice in a lot of licenced premises he's not sure how to set this up and neither am I!

I'm guessing fixed IP web hosting and networked web cams integrated in a website of some description, but not sure what else.

Anyone done this before?

LastChip 22:16 28 Dec 06

First: you need a server at the premises with a special card in it, which accepts the feeds from the camera's. Depending on how many camera's are proposed, will depend upon how many ports in the card you need.

Second: you need the required number of camera's of the correct sort for what you what to do. Cables have special terminals and are generally pre-manufactured.

Third: you need software on the client that enables you to view multi-camera views and select any particular image you want at a given time.

Fourth: you need a dedicated service provider that can give you the bandwidth required for your particular installation. This will vary depending on the installation.

click here for a reliable supplier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…