Networked Internet Connection with NO broadband

BEV 14:30 14 Jan 04

I have set up a wireless USB network as peer to peer between 2 pcs both running Windows XP which works well but PC 1 has got to be on if PC 2 wants to connect to the internet. I would like to use an access point on PC 1, which has an internal network card (not used at present) and my 2 wireless USB adaptors on PC2 & PC3, then connect them all together through an access point. Everything I have read, points to the fact that I need broadband or ADSL etc which is still about 5 years away where I live!!!
Can anyone advise me what kind of access point I need, to plug into an ordinary phone line which will give all 3 PCs the ability to log on to the internet whilst the others are switched off.

mrdsgs 14:45 14 Jan 04

unless you have a desire to have 2 or maore machines on the internet at any one time, why not just connect each pc to the telephone wall socket with a modem cable?

mrdsgs

Chegs ® 14:46 14 Jan 04

I think you need a router,with integral modem.I have only ever seen references to ADSL modems with router,but someone else is bound to know where to get a router with integral dialup modem.

BEV 21:42 14 Jan 04

There are no phone sockets where PC 2+3 are located so thats we went for a wireless network and often two of us want to us the internet at the same time.

Chegs ® 22:41 14 Jan 04

So you need a "Wireless+Dialup modem equiped +Router"

You connect this to phoneline,wireless lan's for the other two machines,to wireless side of Router.I searched via google and got this click here Somewhere in the list of routers,etc is a wireless dialup router,but I couldn't see it. :-)

DieSse 23:10 14 Jan 04

How to build one - not for the faint hearted! click here

See the bottom product here - it states it has an RS232 port for a dial-up modem if you don't have cable/dsl click here

See item 3 here click here

A number of products in this list support dial up click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos