from networked broadband back to dial up.problems

Superstylin 20:09 30 May 03
Locked pc has been connected to broadband thru a network and so is configured to use a proxy, i want to return to using a dial up connection but i can't seem to get it working. one site i asked for help said i'd need to re install windows 98 to get back to that configuration. is that right??

King Diamond 20:13 30 May 03

Curious - why go back to a dial up, are you using a fax?

fitshase 20:13 30 May 03

Firstly you need to make sure that there is a dial-up connection configured.

Secondly you need to go to Control Panel\Internet Options:-

Click on the connections tab and select "Always dial my default connection".

Click on LAN Settings button and de-select the "Use a proxy server for your LAN....." (it will not make any difference to the dial-up but might prevent future problems).

I think that is it (I am on XP so I am doing it from memory). I'm sure someone will post if I've missed something.

You shouldn't need to re-install windows 98 though.

Superstylin 20:20 30 May 03

i'm moving from a home with broadband to a home without broadband basically! 6 people use our networked broadband where i live now, i can't justify the cost of broadband just for myself!

cheers for the reply fitshase but i've already tried that and it's just not happening! :os

fitshase 20:24 30 May 03

What is happening?

Do you get any error messages?

What happens when you try to connect?

Kitz E Kat 21:32 30 May 03

In my network places go to the BB connection and delete this or disable it , in control panel go to internet options and make a new connection, also check in the device manager that the dial up modem is not disabled,it might well be, in which case enable it, that should do the trick. Also you will have to reconfigure your email oopen OE and in tools select accounts and select dial up modem for your account.There is no way that you will have to do a reinstall to reconfigure the internet setup, that's a bit mad!!!
Hope this helps

woodchip 21:40 30 May 03

Go to Control Panel Double click on networking icon. All you should see in Dial-up Networking is

Microsoft Family Logon

Dial-Up Adapter

all other items should be removed

woodchip 21:42 30 May 03

PS if you dead any more info just ring

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…