Network with XPSP2 PC, Win95 PC and BB Connection

ASTRoberts 13:38 13 Dec 05

Hi :)
Advice needed please for someone who does not really understand what he is doing !!!
I bought a Sweex Router and connected up XPSP2 PC, Win95 PC (had to install network card first) and BB Connection. I did the config bit on both PCs and got broadband working on both of them. I ran the network wizard on the XPSP2 PC, named the PC "HARRY" and the workgroup "MSHOME" and enabled "File and Printer sharing". I did the equivalent on the Win95 PC named it "PENNY", the workgroup "MSHOME" and again enabled "File and Printer sharing". On each computer the network only shows the PC I am using and not the other one :( There are Windows, AOL and AVG firewalls installed which I may not have properly disabled in my attempts to get the network working properly. It seemed that the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway assigned by both PCs was the same "10.0.0.12", "255.0.0.0" and "10.0.0.2". Any advice on why the PCs do not see the other one on the network would be much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation,
Astro.

mgmcc 14:18 13 Dec 05

Make sure that in each PC you have set at least one folder as "shared" in its Properties. This is in addition to the overall enabling of File & Printer Sharing and in XP is done by right clicking the folder and selecting the "Sharing & Security" option. It should be very similar in Windows 95.

I suspect that a firewall is the reason that each PC can only see itself and not the remote one and, in any case, the normal advice is not to use multiple software firewalls in one PC as this can cause conflicts. Ideally use one third-party software firewall and disable the Windows one. Configure it to allow access to the networked computers, which is normally done by adding their IP addresses to the "trusted" area or by adding the Subnet - in this case 10.0.0.0 with Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0

ASTRoberts 14:31 13 Dec 05

Hi mgmcc :)
Tyvm for the advice.
I am stuck in an office at work right now, but i will try your suggestions this evening.
I certainly have not set an individual folder as "shared" on each PC and I will follow your firewall advice aswell.
I will post again tomorrow, hopefully to say "problem solved" !!!
Cheers,
Astro.

ASTRoberts 07:43 14 Dec 05

Hi :)
I set a couple of folders on each PC as "shared" and sure enough they appeared on the network for whichever PC I was using, but the other remote PC still did not appear :(
On the XP PC i turned off the Windows firewall, I had not in fact downloaded the AOL v9.0 McAfee firewall and I closed down my AVG Control Centre hopefully including its firewall. On the Win95 PC there did not seem to be a Windows firewall or an AOL v7.0 firewall and i again closed down my AVG Control Centre.
You guessed it, the remote PC, whichever one it was, still did not appear on the network :(
I will try again making absolutely sure a firewall is not responsible, since as mgmcc says this appears to be a likely cause of the problem.
Could it be the router not allowing either PC to "see" the other half of the network ?
Can I connect the two network cards directly using a crossed cat 5 cable, thereby excluding the router, and maybe get the network working that way ?
Thanks in advance to mgmcc or anyone else for their suggestions !!!
Astro.

mgmcc 08:56 14 Dec 05

In the Network Properties of each PC, make sure you have both of these installed:

1) Client for Microsoft Networks.

2) File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

To access Network Properties:

- in XP, right click the Local Area Connection in the Network Connections folder and select Properties.

- in 95, right click "Network Neighborhood" on the Desktop and select Properties.

Now I'm guessing here, but in Windows 98's Network Properties, there is a button "File & Printer Sharing" which opens a box to tick (a) File Sharing and (b) Printer Sharing. If Windows 95 also has this, make sure File and/or Printer Sharing is ticked.

<<< Could it be the router not allowing either PC to "see" the other half of the network ? >>>

Unlikely. Routers don't normally need to be configured specifically to allow File/Printer sharing over the network.

<<< Can I connect the two network cards directly using a crossed cat 5 cable, thereby excluding the router, and maybe get the network working that way ? >>>

Yes, but that rather defeats the purpose of having the router to allow both computers to access the internet.

As both computers are accessing the internet via the router, and you don't want to mess that up, one possibilty might be to share files with an alternative protocol, such as NetBEUI or IPX/SPX. These protocols don't need to be configured like TCP/IP and are not affected by firewalls (which control TCP/IP traffic). I don't know which protocols Windows 95 has built in, certainly NetBEUI and possibly IPX/SPX, but any changes you do make will probably require that you have the Windows 95 CD. Windows XP has IPX/SPX built in and NetBEUI can be installed from the XP CD (or I can let you have the installation files if you don't have a full Windows XP CD).

ASTRoberts 14:53 14 Dec 05

Tyvm again for your advice.
On Thursday I will have a chance to make sure I have not done something stupid and to follow your advice through step by step.
I am at work now away from my "network", but I am fairly sure Win95 has a similar button to Win98 for File and/or Printer Sharing (I recall ticking both boxes) and both NetBEUI and IPX/SPX protocols are installed/installable. I have Win95 and XP CDs so hopefully I can try out everything you suggest, if need be, to get my network working.
I will post again on Friday with the outcome, for your interest and others like me struggling to set up a network !!!
Thanks Again,
Regards,
Astro.

ASTRoberts 11:58 16 Dec 05

Great advice !!! ....... I am almost there :)
It may be I have got things mixed up, but in case you are curious .......
I went onto XP PC and "Client for Microsoft Networks" did not seem to be installed. I inserted the XP CD and under "Install Optional Windows Components" the guy who sold me the PC had not ticked the box for "Other Network File and Print Sevices" so i ticked the box and installed these, but still no remote PC showing.
Then I went onto the Win95 PC and under "Properties" it listed the components installed including "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "IPX/SPX" & "NetBEUI" & "TCP/IP" for my network card adapter. To be sure, I tried to install "Client for Microsoft Networks", but it was indeed already installed, but when I tried to install "TCP/IP" for my network card adapter, it asked for Win95 CD and did some intalling, then the remote XP PC appeared on my network !!! Everything worked great from my Win95 PC !!!
I returned to my XP PC and the remote Win95 PC was showing on my network, but there was a sting the tail, because when I tried to access its shared folder I was asked for a password for "Penny/Guest", Penny is the name I gave to the Win95 PC. If you could advise I would be grateful, but I am sure I can resolve this one myself given a bit of time.
So tyvm again mgmcc, you are doing a terrific job of helping people in these forums and I sure hope you have .......
******* A Very Merry Christmas !!! *******
Cheers,
Astro.

mgmcc 13:29 16 Dec 05

That's a strange one. I would have thought it was more likely that you couldn't access XP from 95, rather than the other way round.

In the Network Properties of Win 95, in addition to "Client for Microsoft Networks", do you also have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed?

If you double click the TCP/IP entry for your network adapter, then select the Bindings tab, are both "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" ticked?

Do you definitely have at least ond folder in the Windows 95 PC set as "shared" in its Properties?

When you boot the Win 95 PC, do you get a box to enter a Username and Password for Network Access? If so, does that Password when used in the XP PC let you access the shared folders? Also, if you do get that box and there is no Password set, do you click "OK" to remove the box? Pressing "Esc" will also remove the login box but the network will not be accessible.

ASTRoberts 14:53 16 Dec 05

All sorted and working perfectly !!!
The Penny :) dropped as I followed your advice.

<<< In the Network Properties of Win 95, in addition to "Client for Microsoft Networks", do you also have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed? >>>
Yes

<<< If you double click the TCP/IP entry for your network adapter, then select the Bindings tab, are both "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" ticked? >>>
Yes

<<< Do you definitely have at least ond folder in the Windows 95 PC set as "shared" in its Properties? >>>
Yes, but I set some more. When you right click on a folder, "Properties", "Sharing" then select "Shared As" in Win95 it asks for a password, unlike in XP. It was this password, that XP wanted me to use and I had forgotten all about it !!! When i used it everything was ok !!!

<<< When you boot the Win 95 PC, do you get a box to enter a Username and Password for Network Access? >>>
Yes I do, but it was the "folder shared as" password which it wanted.

<<< If so, does that Password when used in the XP PC let you access the shared folders? >>>
No it did not, but the "password" was in fact "blank" ie no password set.

<<< Also, if you do get that box and there is no Password set, do you click "OK" to remove the box? >>>
Yes, when i click "ok" on Win95 PC it accepts the "blank, no password set" and continues to load the Win95 OS.

I am delighted it is all sorted !!! :)
Tyvm again mgmcc and have a .......

******* A Happy New Year *******

aswell !!!

Regards,
Astro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…