Network Xp to Vista stopped working

Channel 17:31 PM 24 Jun 11

I recently reinstalled Vista on my Dell laptop.Before that,I could view and open shared files on my XP desktop, although the PC couldn't see the laptop.Now, I can get online, but can't see the PC in Network places.I've ensured both have same workgroup name.I think it may be due to Norton Internet Security,which I've renewed and reinstalled from new disk.But the former one didn't prevent file-sharing, albeit one way,XP to Vista.Before I uninstall Norton again, is there anything else I should have done after Vista reinstall ?

Channel 16:51 PM 30 Jun 11

I've thankfully solved this myself- with Google's help.(Has this forum "gone downhill" recently ? I used to have immediate replies to posts, but recently, I've had none or few, even at weekends.)I discovered that by following Tweakhound's advice on Vista services,link textI'd disabled SSDP Discovery, and IPsec Policy Agent services, and as soon as I re-enabled them,I could see my Xp machine on the Vista one,and share its folders.As before, though, I've been unable to see the Vista on the XP one. But that's less important.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…