Network Win2K desktop to XPSP2 laptop

beansdad 16:41 26 Mar 05

trying unsuccessfully to share a broadband connection on my desktop running Wondows 2000 Pro with my laptop running XP SP2. I've got devolo plugs to netwrok through the mains and these work OK. and am using a network switch to connect ethernet on desktop. All the indications are that Microsoft doesn't allow for XP to network with Win 2000. Any suggestions that don't involve upgrading desktop to XP or getting a modem/router?

spikeychris 16:50 26 Mar 05

"am using a network switch to connect ethernet on desktop" Just explain that a bit more. BTW XP and 2K do network quite well.

spikeychris 17:00 26 Mar 05

Have you seen this? click here

beansdad 20:00 26 Mar 05

I'm using a built in network adapter on the desktop to connect to a switch which connects to one devolo then through the mains to the other devolo and cable to laptop - thought the adapters were ethernet. Does this make any sense?

beansdad 20:02 26 Mar 05

Sorry - should have said thanks to Spikeychris and yes I've seen the devolo set up thing thanks.

beansdad 20:05 26 Mar 05

Should also mention that I can't "ping" in either direction even if I connect through the switch without the devolos but I can read the hard drive on one computer from the other.

beansdad 21:36 27 Mar 05

After hours of poking around, including resetting that which Windows chose to change, I've beaten it into submission and it gave up late this afternoon! I now have a form of network I can get by with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…