Network. Is this what I need?

Tazfan 12:16 18 Jan 03
  Tazfan 12:16 18 Jan 03

I have found this "QuickFind:27645" on ebuyer (click here). Is this what I need to use so I can use my second computer online without having to have my main system turned on? I use NTL BB.

Thanks in advance for your help. T:-)

mark3110 12:24 18 Jan 03

Try this one click here

Mark

Daffy-Duck 12:37 18 Jan 03

The router Bela and mark3110 are what your after. But i have one to, and am getting nothing but grief. I posted somthing about it last night, (but have sinced changed my nickname)
click here

Tazfan 12:47 18 Jan 03

This is taken from the product I posted about "Using Windows 98 SE, Me, or 2000, you are able to share your Internet account with up to 5 users." There is also a review about by someone, whos says that they used it to share their NTL BB connection. So Im confused now! My metwork works fine as it is, using 2 x Ethernet cards etc, but Id prefer to be able to access the net on each computer without them both having to be running.

Tazfan 12:49 18 Jan 03

This is the customer review of the product from Amazon. "I have a NTL cable broadband connection (UK) with three computers for which i wanted to share my connection with and network together.

I got this product and managed to get the network going with connection sharing within 20 mins. Thats how easy and straight forward I found installation and setup.

The software that comes with it is a bonus but not necessary for you to set up the connection, its only there for people who dont know the basics of networking. so if you install and run the set up program it will automatically configure your network adapters and provide some intructions.

The printed intructions are also very clear. There are two guides, a quick set-up guide which consist of a fold out sheet and more detailed guide in the form of a booklet which goes into the detail, the quick setup guide sufficed for me though.

To boot there is the option of enabling the built in firewall (all configured through your web browser) and cutting out internet access for certain computers on the network. The admin settings can be accesed through any computer on the network with your chosen password through a web browser typing in a special address that connects you to the router.

It also has a nice design which makes a change from most routers on the market and is small and compact to fit most places.

All in all a simple cheap and easy to use router that i would reccomend."

Daffy-Duck 13:39 18 Jan 03

you may find that it works fine, Maybe i was just unluck. Just have some sort of backup plan if incase it does'nt work.

AndySD 14:01 18 Jan 03

I brought the Netgear RP114p from Dabs last week click here maybe a little more than you want to spend at £88 but setting up with NTL was a breeze. Just connected the NTL connection to the box (as long as its not USB) then connect the Lann card presently connected to NTL to the box and in the setup wizard clone the MAC Address and its connected. The hardware firewall and controls have been a big plus for me also.

rowdy 14:07 18 Jan 03

quick find 27647 on ebuyer is what you need

rowdy

Tazfan 14:18 18 Jan 03

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between 27647 and 27645? It appears that they both allow internet sharing through BB, or am I missing something obvious?

If the one I posted will work, I would rather go for that because it is cheaper, and I am very poor.

However, I will of course take on board the advice given to me on here. If the one I saw wont work, I will get the other one. I just dont understand the difference between the two.

Thanks, T:-)

rowdy 14:25 18 Jan 03

but the item you quote is a network switch and whereas it will let you share the Internet connection I believe that the computer directly connected to yor NTL modem must be on.
The router performs all the duties of the Network Switch but the NTL Modem is also connected through it. All computers in the network can have access to the Internet (simultaneously if required) and any of them switched on gets instant connection with the internet.

rowdy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced