Network to use printer and share files?

Rickyv 20:03 28 Oct 05

Hi, basically ive got a wireless network all set up to use the internet and it works fine. But i want to be able to use my printer that is on my desktop computer, via my laptop. I also want to be able to access files on the desktop computer via the laptop. How can i set this up? i have tried using the windows xp network wizard but when it asks you to create a network setup floppy disk, it creates it, but it wont open the file on the other computer, it just hangs :S Thanks

Iron Maiden 20:21 28 Oct 05

On your PC go to printers & faxes right click on your printer click on sharing. click share this printer, give it a share name. To use it from your laptop the Pc will have to be switched on but doesn't need to be logged on. Any files you want to share need to be in a shared folder click on folder pick sharing 7 security tick box share on network. This folder & anything in it will be shared

scottyc 20:38 28 Oct 05

Hi

I had this problem too with my Lexmark X125. No matter how many times I tried, or downloads I installed it would not work. The solution came when I deleted the software and then re-installed it.

I also had communication problems at the outset. Remember to right click and make all you folders (i.e. 'My Documents') etc avaliable to the network. This will be apparent when a little hand appears under the icon.

Good luck.

mgmcc 20:50 28 Oct 05

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here;en-us;141839

Iron Maiden 20:51 28 Oct 05

forgot to add once printer is shared you will need to go through add printer routine on your laptop & pick network printer option

mgmcc 20:52 28 Oct 05

URL should be:
h t t p : / / support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

(without the spaces)

VoG II 20:56 28 Oct 05
  mgmcc 08:27 29 Oct 05

Thanks VoG™ ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…