Network two computers and NTL Cable Modem

BADGERSEND 07:46 28 Sep 05

I wish to connect two PC's together with file sharing etc. I have network crads in each computer. IO also want to be able to use my NTL cable modem on both computers. How do I go about this? Would a D-link DES 1005D switch allow this?

mgmcc 08:48 28 Sep 05

To create a wired network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a "crossover" CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router. All networked computers connect directly to the router with ‘straight-wired’ CAT5 ethernet cables.

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually 192.168.xxx.xxx

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

---------------------------------------------

NOTE: If buying a router for use with Cable broadband, it MUST be a stand-alone router that connects to the modem by ethernet. A combined "Router/ADSL Modem" is DEFINITELY NOT SUITABLE.

stylehurst 16:56 02 Oct 05

Have a look at Belkin F5D5231UK4 Router. £40 at PC World. In addition you would need Cat 5 cables to connect PCs to router.
Belkin provide a very good & detailed connection guide.
I use this set up with Telewest/Blueyonder broadband.

sattman 08:45 04 Oct 05

Use or provide a in your main computer. Change the etherenet connection on the NTL modem if it not allready connected ethernet to your computer. Connect a Linksys BEFW11S4 router to the modem and then use a Linksys WUSB54G USB network adaptor to link as many computers as you require. total cost about £60.

click here

you will have to get your ethernet adaptor local if you need one.

sattman 08:48 04 Oct 05

Use or provide an Ethernet connetction in your main computer. Change to the etherenet connection on the NTL modem if it not allready connected. Connect a Linksys BEFW11S4 router to the modem and then use a Linksys WUSB54G USB network adaptor to link as many computers as you require. total cost about £60.
click here

you will have to get your ethernet adaptor local if you need one.

mgmcc 12:48 04 Oct 05

Presumably, as the topic has been ticked, the original question has been answered. It would have been nice if the original poster had actually bothered to acknowledge the help offered.

sattman 17:43 04 Oct 05

Alas as so often happens we will never know if the enquirer is now happily routing or not.

philharris433 16:22 16 Dec 05

Just to add further to this! i am using a router to connect to a broadband ntl cable modem and have two computers set up on the network which both connect no problems! the only problem i have is getting an internet connection! i have followed the configuration settings for the router and everything seemed to be automatic. What type of ethernet cable is to be used to connect the router to the cable modem? at the mo im using a 'straight though'.

philharris433 16:24 16 Dec 05

By the way before the network was set up i connected to the internet via USB through the cable modem with no problems

mgmcc 19:53 16 Dec 05

A straight-wired cable is correct. Crossover is only required when connecting two computers directly, "Network Adapter to Network Adapter".

If you go to the router's "Setup" pages, by entering its IP address into a web browser, you should be able to see if it has got its IP address from NTL.

In order to connect the router, you should have powered off the Cable Modem (and left it off for a couple of minutes), disconnected the PC from it and connected the router. The Cable Modem should be booted and, once it is fully operational, the router should be booted. This is necessary to ensure that the modem detects a different connection and allocates a new IP address to it. The PC should be booted after the router has been booted, so that it also gets its IP address, which it does now from the router.

philharris433 23:33 16 Dec 05

Cool ill have another mess with it this weekend! and let you know how i get on. Thanks mgmcc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…