Network Switch

dms05 09:59 20 Feb 06

I have an Actiontec Gateway with 1 PCMCIA slot, 1 RJ45 socket and 1 USB socket. The PCMCIA connection has provided good WiFi but now has a problem (the PC Card is OK as it works 100% in my laptop).

I currently have my Dell desktop connected to the Actiontec USB, the PCMCIA provides WiFi local to the Gateway and I use the RJ45 for another AP at the end of a 30m cable.

Can I use a Network Switch connected to the one RJ45 on the Actiontec and then connect the desktop, 30m remote AP and a spare AP I have (to replace the PCMCIA WiFi) or will all the IP info be a problem?

mgmcc 22:58 20 Feb 06

Connecting a network switch to a router with a single ethernet LAN port should be fine as a solution to connecting additional devices, whether computers or Wireless Access Points.

mgmcc 23:02 20 Feb 06

...come to think of it, I have a network print server which is also a 4-port network switch and my two laptops are plugged into that as is, occasionally, a Wireless Access Point. In effect, I am already doing what you are talking about, because the print server / switch is plugged into a LAN port in the router.

dms05 06:23 21 Feb 06

Many thanks mgmcc. I was assuming it would be OK but the first thing I learnt about networking was 'never assume anything'. I've ordered a Network Switch to try. They aren't expensive click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…