Network Storage/Servers..HELP

Uboat 13:22 13 Nov 10

Hiya can you help me please I have one of these network storage/servers attached to my router and every so often I get these messages see attached. What do you suggest - it's been doing since I inserted the second h/disk?
Here is the message:

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 165 Current count 179 Growing SMART errors indicate a disc may fail soon.
If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepaired to replace the disc....???

Any ideas pls.?

UB

bremner 13:29 13 Nov 10

It means that SMART has had an indication that there is an issue with a sector and moved data to another sector on the drive. In your case there were previously 165 dodgy sectors and there are now 179.

It is saying this may be an indication of potential disk failure.

If you have the NAS as Raid 5 then even if the disk fails you can replace it without data loss.

Uboat 14:09 13 Nov 10

Hi guys thank you so much!
Guess I should have been more specific, its actualy a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, bought it with one TB and got another one on a promotion with it free, so its running on two 1TB drives. does the never loss thing/hot swap ie backs up same stuff on both.
Hope this helps

Uboat 23:40 13 Nov 10

n..e..1.? pls

Ashrich 00:10 14 Nov 10

Afraid the answer is still the same , SMART has found errors and assumes that the hard drive 2 is in danger of failing , either you wait 'til it fails or replace it sooner rather than later , if the NAS box is still in warranty the failing hard drive should be replaced by the vendor .

Your NAS is running Raid 1 ( mirrored )

Ashley

Uboat 11:24 14 Nov 10

AshRich & Lazerus

Thank you guys im very greatfull!
UB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5