Network Startup

Greengo 10:33 19 Jun 05

I have a Toshiba Laptop that i want to network to my Desktop for it to share internet connection and printing facilities. I believe looking through device manager that it as Network adapters and PCMIA Adapter pre installed. My desktop for the moment as no network adapters. Can you advice advice how to proceed, detailing what i need to make a connection.

Taff36 12:01 19 Jun 05

Desktop - Operating System. How does it connect to the internet? (Dial up, Broadband) If BB which make and model of router.

Laptop - Operating System. Is it Wireless enabled or does it have a network connector for an ethernet cable. Usually on the side next to the modem socket.

Who is your ISP?

Have you considered doing itall wirelessly. Cost subject to the aboveless than £75?

Greengo 12:11 19 Jun 05

Desktop - Operating System: Windows XP
How does it connect to the internet? :Broadband
model of modem: BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem
Laptop - Operating System: Windows XP. It as network connector for an ethernet cable.

Who is your ISP? : AOL

Taff36 12:17 19 Jun 05

Both XP is good. Presume desktop has a free USB connector. AOL - Oh well! Anyway. How far away from the desktop do you want to use the laptop? It can be done with cable but if it`s wireless enabled there`s an easier way. Thinking wireless definately but let me know the answer to this post first.

Taff36 13:19 19 Jun 05

I`m thinking a wireless router/modem plugged into the mans somewhere close to your master socket. The Voyager modem connects via cable as it does to your desktop now. The desktop connects to the router by cable using one of the routers 4 ethernet ports OR wirelessly using a USB wireless adapter. The laptop goes wireless so you can use it anywhere in the house providing the signal will travel through walls as it were. If the laptop is wireless enabled you`re OK. If not again we need a second USB wirelessadapter.

Here`s one I`ve set up a few times. Personally and on this forum. There are plenty of similar makes and models around. click here and available from here click here Note that it`s available "collect from store" so you can get this starter package at the web price.

Taff36 13:22 19 Jun 05

I meant "mains" but anyway. Bit od advive from Djohn click here

Greengo 13:42 19 Jun 05

Thanks for your information. How do I find out if my laptop is wireless enabled? Sorry to ask a stupid question?

Taff36 18:49 19 Jun 05

"Bit od advive" and that was before I went for a drink! Anyway again.... Tell us which laptop, make & model - we`ll start from there. Hope you liked the idea of wireless `cos it works.

Greengo 19:37 19 Jun 05

I like the Wireless idea. The Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 2100, 1.80ghz Mobile Intel

Greengo 19:47 19 Jun 05

Toshiba Personal computer mobile Intel(R), Celeron (R) CPU 1.80GHz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…