network speeds

rupie 23:14 03 Sep 06

I have a network at home, which includes both wireless and cable connections. I have 3 computers linked, personal and business, through a 3com adsl wireless 11g router 3crwdr100a-72. This router connect to the internet. if I look at the connection speeds windows task manager says the cable is at 100mbps and the wireless is at 56mbps but when I move infomation around windows shows my ulilisation at maybe only 33% of this. The figure drops to 10% if 1 of the computers accesses the internet. I know we will never get 100% but how can I increase this speed and is there a way of more accuratly monitoring the actual speed across my network.

sean-278262 23:20 03 Sep 06

I think you do not have a full understanding of how your internet works with your ethernet. The Internet in your home will be about 8mbps (which is the max generally for home use) so it would be about 1/7 of the speed of your wireless connection. So 33% would suggest computers moving files and data about plus maximum usage of your internet connection. You cannot increase your internet download speed above what you pay for.

terryf 23:21 03 Sep 06

Creature of the Nite
I think that rupie wants to increase the inter PC speed across his network

rupie 23:40 03 Sep 06

yes it is this internetwork speed I want to get up. My internet speed is only relevent to the fact that if 1 of the pcs on my network access it then the percentage utilisation dros even further, even for the units not on the net

baldtaco 05:24 04 Sep 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…