Network Speed

acfc 12:49 19 Dec 09

I have 2 pc connected via a Thomson ADSL Router supplied by O2. My PC network card is suitable for gigabit connection while the router is 10/100 base so the question is would I get real benefit from upgarding the router?

I hard wired the network because wireless was slow for file transfer but it's still slower than I would like

ambra4 13:31 19 Dec 09

There is no need to replace the router just get a 5 Port 10/100/1000 Switch

D-Link 5 Port 10/100/1000 Green Ethernet Gigabit Desktop Switch

click here

Connect both computer to the switch and connect one of the ports to the router

Batch 15:30 19 Dec 09

"I hard wired the network because wireless was slow for file transfer but it's still slower than I would like"

Just a thought - have you disabled wireless on both PCs? If not you might find that at one end or the other or both, wireless is being used still anyhow (in spite of wired connections being enabled)

acfc 17:02 19 Dec 09

As this is on 24hr a day 2 units would produce more heat in my cupboard and use more power

However as a short term solution I might have a Gigabit switch spare in my office ~ don't know why I didn't think of that??

Having been browsing today I like the look of the WAG320N which at £85 looks like a good solution so has anyone tried this unit?

Would I get a significant increase on my LAN and what would the next bottleneck be?

Batch ~ I had removed my 2 USB wireless adapters so no problems there - just big files!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced