Network sharing RJ45 plugs crossover cable

athenrye 20:40 25 Aug 03

hi ive got two computers new XP with ethernet connected to a external telewest modem etc... and old win 98se with nic card.
i bought some crossover cable and went to connect them, my old computer has a spare socket for the RJ45 plug but my new computer uses the socket to connect the the external modem for telewest broadband!
how now do i connect the cable as the modem does not have another sempty socket either?
is there a dual switch unit that i can buy to link them both?
cheers
william

AndySD 20:50 25 Aug 03

You need to add a NIC (network interconnect card) to the new PC. You can get one from most pc shops for £10 - £20.

Rayuk 20:53 25 Aug 03

If you want to be able to use each pc independantly you will have to get a router.

athenrye 21:03 25 Aug 03

i dont want to run independently its only for my son and ive got broadband so we will share the connection cheers.

will a new nic card not interfere with the one that already in it, is it easy enogh to install?
any tips or ideas
cheers
william

ellas 21:07 25 Aug 03

no it wont interfere,just stick it in a free pci slot,xp will already probaley have the drivers.

oglemire 21:09 25 Aug 03

as per AndySD you need two network cards on your xp machine. one nic will go directly to your cable modem. the other will connect to your 98 box using your cross over cable. if your want to share your broadband connection you then need to set up internet connection sharing on the nic that connects to your cable modem. your xp machine will then route between the 2 nics...

AndySD 21:19 25 Aug 03

Fitting is simple and xp will recognise most nics and install the drivers for you.

Fitting ... the tutorial click here is for a graphics card but its the same for the nic ...just no need to unplug the graphics or remove the card. Also the nic goes in a white (PCI) slot.

DieSse 22:45 25 Aug 03

Or - possibly simpler - get a 4 port hub, or switch. Both systems and the modem plug into the hub. Both systems can talk to each other through the hub, and to the net independantly, without the other being switched on. A far cleaner arrangement.

Hubs are Verrry cheap. examples click here

athenrye 23:14 25 Aug 03

that sounds better as i wouldnt have to open my computer, so lets get it straight....
my modem and win 98 crossover cable goes into the hub, ill need to run cable from my XP machine to the hub also
what kind of cable do i get for that?
is it just crossover cable also?
cheers
william

DieSse 01:29 26 Aug 03

Cables from the systems to the hub are standard patch cables - ie - non-crossover

DieSse 01:30 26 Aug 03

Before you actually go ahead with any connection scheme - check with Telewest whether such a scheme is permitted by their setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…