Network Setup Wizard - Floppy disk and laptop

Charlie Babbage 20:51 25 Dec 06

I've just bought a laptop and am having a look at how to network this with a desktop. I want to access the desktop files and printer from the laptop.

The laptop has a wireless connection. I have installed the BT Voyager Wireless Adapter software on the laptop and connected the Adapter to the desktop via the USB lead. So far this enables me to view different web pages on the laptop and the desktop.

However, going through the Help and Support pages about starting the Network Setup Wizard it states 'During the Network Setup Wizard, we recommend that you create a floppy disk to run the Network Setup Wizard on the other computers on your network'. Only one problem - the laptop does not have a floppy disk drive! Can you do it with a pen drive or is there another way?

Btw, is it me or do others find the layout of the Network Setup Help pages not very well organised? Is there a better explanation elsewhere?

Happy Christmas to you all!

mgmcc 22:39 25 Dec 06

<<< I have installed the BT Voyager Wireless Adapter software on the laptop and connected the Adapter to the desktop via the USB lead >>>

I don't follow this - or do you mean you have installed the software in the *desktop* PC and plugged a USB wireless adapter into it?

You don't need a floppy drive, or a pen drive or anything else to set up additional computers in the network. Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. At least one folder should be "shared" in each PC. Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a trusted section.

Strawballs 20:34 26 Dec 06
  Charlie Babbage 23:49 26 Dec 06

... I did not make this clear. The BT Voyager Wireless adapter comes with a disc to install drivers to enable a USB or Ethernet connection. I used this disc to install USB drivers on the desktop. I have conencted the desktop to Voyager via the USB cable.

Voyager also has an aerial for a wireless connection to the laptop. I have now run the Network setup wizard on the laptop. As I also have Win XP Professional on the dsktop, I assume that I now only need to run the network setup Wizard on that machine although I must read the link posted by Strawballs in more detail first!

Many thanks for trying to help me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5