Network setup fails

Armadillo 15:25 16 Jun 04

I have a desktop, about 18 months old and a laptop, new in April 2004. Both run XP Home. The desktop is connected to the internet via a cable modem.

When I purchased the laptop, I set up a simple network with a crossover LAN cable, using the XP wizard, with no problem and it worked perfectly.

I took the laptop on holiday and, on returning, the network would not function (although the laptop would, and still does, connect to the internet via the LAN cable connection to the desktop).

Using the wizard on the desktop gives the error "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close." The error details are :- szAppName : spoolsv.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.0 szModName : ntdll.dll
szModVer : 5.1.2600.1217 offset : 0002c32b

I have tried running the wizard with Norton Internet Security enabled and disabled - it makes no difference, and restoring the computer to earlier dates does not help. A continuity check in the LAN cable shows no problems.

The wizard runs on the laptop without error.

Checking for networked computers from the desktop shows the laptop but, the laptop can find no other computer connected (notwithstanding that it still finds and uses the internet connection).

I am at a loss!

Smiler 17:06 16 Jun 04

Have you checked the firewall settings on both computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…