Network Setup

Mr T 21:02 20 Feb 04

Help required Please

Have just set up my first network at home, setup as follows.

Main Pc, Has Windows XP Home Edition
Slave Pc has Windows XP Pro

On both PCs I have packets going In and Out, had to set up IP address manually, both are registering traffic in & out.

In my computer / Networks near me on each pc there is no indication to other PCs on network
can someone help please.

Mike

ensonricky 22:50 20 Feb 04

Have you run the XP network wizard on both PC's using a floppy from settings from your main pc on your xp pro pc.

vinnyo123 00:25 21 Feb 04

how are they connected together (crossover cable ,switch hub,) is there a router involved somewhere ?

Open cmd line and ping IP's?(start>run>cmd>ping 192.168.x.x "your other PC's IP">enter > tell us results?

post back

Mr T 08:07 21 Feb 04

Thanks to both replies so far,

Thanks for reply, have run wizard on both Pcs, the Master Pc would not auto config, Slave auto configes to 169.254.176.65

I used that IP on the Master and it setup OK, altered slave by one digit OK

I can ping from Master to slave OK, can not ping correct from slave to master, PC connected with crossover cable

LeadingMNMs 08:29 21 Feb 04

If th master has a firewall, turn it off and try again.

Mr T 08:45 21 Feb 04

Thanks for suggestion, turning off firewall works, have configed rule to asllow access through it and is ok, but I still can not see each computer, any more good thoughts please, thanks

zed650 09:17 21 Feb 04

have you set up/allowed any files or folders to be shared accross you're network?

Mr T 10:05 21 Feb 04

Yes, have done this on both PCs.
On the SLAVE I can see the shared drivews for that PC, but on the MASTER PC there is nothing in the workgroups at all

Boluwd 11:10 21 Feb 04

referenced to my postings
bump^

Mr T 11:28 21 Feb 04

Hi Bol Uwd, Have checked your message, for some reason the IP addresses are different when using XP Pro 169.254.176.65 come up automaticaly.
The 2 PC are sending / receiving packets, but I can not see each other computer on network, have allowed all sharing etc. Some wise person did warn me that networking will open ones eyes and be a steep learning curve ! It is...

vinnyo123 13:59 21 Feb 04

"Thanks for reply, have run wizard on both Pcs, the Master Pc would not auto config, Slave auto configes to 169.254.176.65 I used that IP on the Master and it setup OK, altered slave by one digit OK I can ping from Master to slave OK, can not ping correct from slave to master, PC connected with crossover cable"

It would be wise to post all in here not through e-mail everyone needs to see where you are so they can help.

first I would change the class of the IP's your using to private class C range in network properties.Change it to the range ,for example
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.Also seems like you have both of them to obtain an IP automatically because Windows will give an IP 169.x.x.x by default if it don't find a DHCP server.Try this then ping then search for your shares .

post back here....
be patient you'll get it.Just needs alittle tweaking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…