network set up problems

fire 17:17 29 Jan 04

i have just installed a 10/100 card in my pc running xp pro and connected a croosover cable to the port and then connected the other end to laptop running xp home i have trie d the network wizard but the 2 pcs arent seeing each other, can anybody help with basic advice as i havnt a clue on networks although i do know about normal pcs, please bear with me.....thanks

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 29 Jan 04

Do you have a firewall running? If so, try to disable it and see if there is an improvement.

Diodorus Siculus 17:24 29 Jan 04

click here - might help.

Chegs ® 17:26 29 Jan 04

Manually cfg the IP addresses as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 In XP the Subnet Masks set themselves,but they both need to be 255.255.255.0. Then,right-click the files/folders/hdd's you want to share,select "Sharing" and reboot.Once both pc's are running,wait a few minutes(XP tends to be slow over initial network start)then try using network.If it doesn't go,post back.

cylon 17:37 29 Jan 04

I was javing similair difficulties only last week.

My check list would
1..Can you ping it ? If not the firewall might be getting in the way.
2..Do you need a firewall rule to allow access
3..Check out the permissions on the sharing tab of the folder properties. if your running XP home this can only done by booting into safe mode.

Tim

fire 22:36 29 Jan 04

ok first things first where do i disable the firewall in xp pro and xp home also i have noticed in con panel and network that there is a network bridge - mac bridge miniport which is enabled should this be there or not i did tell you i know nothing about networks at all so all is confusing at the moment....cheers

Chegs ® 22:45 29 Jan 04
  fire 22:53 29 Jan 04

when i put the card in and switch back on then xp doesnt recognise that there is new hardware according to reading it says there may be problem with bios are there any settings i need to make....thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…