Network Security

EFC1878 13:38 12 Feb 06

I have set up (with help from this forum) a peer-to-peer usb adapter network (using a network bridge) to my daughters pc using Belkin adapters.

Now I know it works I want to double check that the network is secure.

Both pcs i.e. host and client run firewalls and anti-virus software and as well as spyware protection.

Is this sufficient secutiry? Can anyone else use the network?

I have read about encryption and also about WPA VS. WEP.

How do I check what encryption or security I applied when creating the network? And how can I change it if needed?

Advice /tips would be appreciated

pipedream 14:53 12 Feb 06

Unless you specifically chose any wireless security when installing the apapters, this probably isn't set up. You shouldn't need any extra software - if you go into your adapter's set up utility you should be able to choose WEP or WPA security and add you own 'key'. Do the same with the other adapter and you'll be secure. WPA-PSK is better, but WEP will do.

keewaa 12:08 13 Feb 06

Without WEP or WPA, if you are sharing files, anyone within range has access to all the shared files. WPA is stronger than WEP, if you suspect people trying actively to get in.

EFC1878 22:30 13 Feb 06

When the network wass et up I ticked the option not to share files and printers. I guess that then means nobody else can access my files.

How can I check if WPA/WEP is applied? Do I have to set-up the network again? The reason is that I cannot see where/how I check the set-up?

ade.h 22:45 13 Feb 06

"I guess that then means nobody else can access my files."

Well, no. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge would soon change that.

But that is not what wardrivers are after; they are interested in using your internet connection free of charge and totally anonymously.

I admit that my experience of peer-to-peer wifi is limited (I use a router, as do others that I have helped) but I would imagine that anyone who can access your network can also use your net connection through ICS.

EFC1878 20:42 21 Feb 06

Thanks for the help. The network is now encrypted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…