network scanner ???

reclaimjack 13:28 26 Nov 05

i have a cannon lide30 scanner working on a ibm thinkpad via its extra usb port via dockin station.. all computers on network run xp-pro. the ibm is connected to rest of the network via 3com 10/100 hub and the rest of the network is fine. all file an print sharing works the gateway an print computer is all ok.. i have installed the scanner drivers on all computers.. how do i get the rest of the network to find the scanner.... cheers

mgmcc 14:58 26 Nov 05

I'm not aware of any way to share a scanner over a network, although there may be third-party software to do it.

Windows "File & Printer Sharing" doesn't include scanners. My solution with an "all-in-one" Printer, Scanner & Copier is to use a USB Switch which lets me connect up to four computers to a single USB peripheral.

LastChip 16:58 26 Nov 05

As mgmcc says, as far as I am aware too, it can't be done, but why do you want to? (incidentally, it's not the first time this question has been asked).

A scanner, by virtue of what it is, requires you to go to it and place whatever you want to scan on the machine. Most scanners have built in controls to scan, photocopy or whatever, right there. Why would you want to network it?

reclaimjack 19:27 26 Nov 05

the reason i want to do it is so everyone can use it witout leaving all the stuff they scan on my computer once they have scanned it, they might have to get up to use it still but once they scan and stick it in the shared folder thay dont go back and clean up.. still cheers all the same nice one...

LastChip 22:49 26 Nov 05

I hadn't thought about that. It makes perfect sense.

Perhaps you'll just have to threaten them with, if you don't get rid of it, I will! :-)

recap 09:04 29 Nov 05

There is RemoteScan, which is not a free piece of software, click here to find out more.

Some time ago in here, somebody did post some software that was free to enable scanner networking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac