Network questions

crazydiamond 16:37 26 Apr 03

Hi all,
I have just gone broadband & set up a 3 PC network for the first time (1 x XP, 2 x W98 via a Belkin router). I have 2 questions:
1. What's the best firewall out there, preferably freeware. Is the built-in XP firewall any use? Also, my Belkin router has NAT firewall security - is this any good or do I need summat else?
2. I can see all of the folders on the 2 W98 PC's from the XP PC, but when they both try & access the folders on the XP PC a window pops up asking for a password to continue. I am fairly sure that I have not set up any passwords & have tried numerous possible passwords without success. Any ideas what to do?
Thanks in advance, any answers gratefully received.

AndySD 17:18 26 Apr 03

On the XP pc Click Start, click Control Panel, click User Accounts.

Click Change the way users log on or off and choose your present account. Make sure its set as Administrator then set a password.

Try the logon name and password from the 98 pc

Or create an additional user with a password and use this from the other pc's

crazydiamond 17:54 26 Apr 03

AndySD,
when I do as you say, all the 'change the way users log.......' screen has is 2 logon/off options of 'use the welcome screen' & 'use fast user switching'. Also I have just looked at the W98's again & when I click on the XP PC under networks in Win Explorer there is no space for a user name, just something saying RESOURCE: \\HOME1\IPC$. Any thoughts?? Thanks

AndySD 17:57 26 Apr 03

It may help to read through click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…