Network Question Help Please!!!!

Neo_0147 12:19 18 Jun 03

To connect three computers together I know I need three network cards and a hub. Will any sort of hub do? We just want to play games on it. Weve all got win xp pro. would simple 10/100 Mbit PCI NIC PnP network cards do? Would any network cable work e.g. cross over cable. If so could you explain the difference between cross over cable and the other types.

Thanks

Tog 12:53 18 Jun 03

Have a look here

click here

Gaz 25 13:08 18 Jun 03

Really for a simple network, if the PC's do not already have RJ45 ethernet cards, then fit them.

You will need three, then you need a single hub and at 3 cables.

You can get home networking packs that will support 4 Users you need this including 4 NIC cards and 4 Cables.

The great thing is XP is dead easy, just use the Network set-up wizard on all PC's.

Make sure though before you finish, assign each PC a IP, or windows will take ages to load.

Each one increases as this: 192.168.0.1 (Server-pc1), 192.168.02 (PC2), 192.168.03 (PC3).

Subnet mask is the same: 255.255.255.0 - or simalar, you only need to click in the box.

To configure this you need to right click on the LAN connection in Network connections and select properties, all you need to do is click TCP/IP and click properties, then follow all the above.

Kitz E Kat 17:47 18 Jun 03

As Gaz 25 said you can get a home network pack. If you get the "Bits" yourself then you need Cat5e networking cable, not crossover cable.Crossover cable is for connecting two computers together without a hub,no use for any more than that> Cat5 can bought in various lenghts with connectors allready fitted. You can buy a length of cable and the connectors and make your own , but it might be more trouble than its worth for three computers

Gaz 25 19:38 18 Jun 03

Take the above advice too.

fitshase 20:53 18 Jun 03

I remember the first time I linked 2 computers up to play a game of Duke Nukem 3D. I had to use a null modem cable to connect them together!

That was a number of years ago.

Follow the advice of both Gaz 25 and Kitz E Kat. The price of networking now has dropped and they are pretty simple to set up.

Enjoy your gaming.

Regards

Fitshase

Neo_0147 15:16 19 Jun 03

Thanks guys you were very helpful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…