network problems not resolved

mirrorman 20:15 22 Nov 05

Can anyone out there get me connected?
I have done everything that has been put to me (see my other postings)but still no connection.
the setup is :-
laptop- ethernet crossover cable - pc - broadband
and all I want is to get a broadband connection on the laptop.

Please feel free to email me if you wish with any advice

mgmcc 20:35 22 Nov 05

Start again from the beginning (and I'm assuming that you are using XP in both computers).

In the "Host" PC, the one connected to the broadband modem, open the Network Connections folder, highlight the actual internet connection (the modem connection), right click it, select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's intenet connection". Then click OK to close the dialog box.

If you now highlight the Loal Area Connection and look at the very bottom of the blue pane on the left, it should show the IP address as 192.168.0.1 and that it was "Manually Configured".

Now, open the Network Connections folder in the "Client" PC, highlight the Local Area Connection and look at its IP address at the bottom of the left blue pane. It should have a different IP address, but in the SAME range of 192.168.0.x and it should show that the address was allocated by DHCP. If this is not the case (and it has an address of either 169.254.x.x or 0.0.0.0), double click the Local Area Connection, select the Support tab and click the Repair button. This should force it to renew its IP address and it should get a correct address in the 192.168.0.x range from the "Host" PC, which acts as a DHCP server.

Does that get you any further forward?

mirrorman 22:12 22 Nov 05

mgmcc are u there mate?
did the repair as ip was wrong on client pc but failed with a message box saying contact administrator or isp
the ip on the client is 169.254.32.21
subnet mask 255.255.0.0

mgmcc 12:26 23 Nov 05

1) In the "Host" PC's Network Connections folder, does the actual internet connection have a 'hand' below its icon to show that it is shared and does its description say 'shared'?

2) Does the Local Area Connection have the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1?

------------------------------------------------------------

In the "Client" PC, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt, type:

IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter.

This will display all of the adapters in the PC together with their details. You should see the network adapter that connects to the "host" PC by crossover cable. Now type:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press Enter.

This should release the IP addresses and set them to 0.0.0.0 Now type:

IPCONFIG /RENEW and press Enter.

This should force the adapters whose addresses have been released to acquire them again and, with luck, you might get a 192.168.0.x address.

While doing this, disconnect from the internet and shut down any firewall software that you have running as that could be causing a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…