Network problems- Can't share files or printer

Faser 15:43 16 Oct 05

Help, despite being quite experienced I just cannot get files & printer to share on my home network. The problems stared when I rebuilt and upgraded my PC and laptop requiring reloading windows os.

Details are: - Laptop Win XPsp2 & belkin wireless network card. PC Win XPsp2 Prof. hardwired to a Belkin wireless DSL router. (printer connected to PC via usb)

I set up a home network and Internet connection to both PCs without problem. Despite being able to see both PCs in my network places and the laptop can see the printer I cannot access share enabled files. Also the laptop can send a document to print but nothing happens and I have to delete the print file.

I tried disabling all firewalls including the router firewall (switched off cable modem first!). I have enabled printer and file sharing and tried enabling Net Bios over TCP/IP in TCP/IP settings. Also I have tried to setting up a new windows network with a new name all to no avail!

howard63 16:38 16 Oct 05

make sure the guest account is on and put at least one file in shared documents on each pc.

keef66 13:28 17 Oct 05

Simple File Sharing - XP Home uses it by default. XP Pro does not. On the XP Pro machine (You don`t have the option on XP Home)In My Computer Tools>Folder Options> on the view Tab underneath Advanced Settings - scroll down to the last entry "use simple file sharing" and make sure it is ticked.

Taff36 13:50 17 Oct 05

And I borrowed it from th FE !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…