Network Problems (again)

Ken H Lamb 15:55 16 Jan 05

I have now got my laptop and my desktop wired through a Belkin switch, my problem is that my laptop cannot see my destop or my desktop my laptop (both connections report that they are working correctly) the message that I get on my laptop is mshome is not accessable. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. The message on the desktop is Advent (the laptop) is not accessable. The network path was not found. The desktop does not show up in My network places on the laptop. The Advent laptop does on the desktop.

AndySD 16:09 16 Jan 05

You will need to go into the properties of your firewalls and set them to allow networking.

LeadingMNMs 16:36 16 Jan 05

Almost certainly a firewall blocking the network traffic, by the looks of it, on both sides.

FelixTCat 17:15 16 Jan 05

Please make sure that you have set at least one drive or directory on each machine to share otherwise nothing will show up in My Network Places.

Then check that your firewall includes the IP addresses in its trusted addresses range.

Ken H Lamb 19:33 16 Jan 05

Thanks for your time and efforts folks.I have configured the firewalls on both machines, I have McAfee on the destop and Norton on the laptop. I have setup drives on each machine to share. I will check again. Where do I go from here? :-(

duckywucky 20:20 16 Jan 05

I had similar problems and it turned out that I needed new drivers for my pci card - try contacting your supplier. Also McAfee firewall caused my system to crash and connectivity problems - I uninstalled it in the end and several people report that it causes problems - don't know the ins and outs of it.

AndySD 07:00 17 Jan 05

Have you run the networking wizard on XP?

Ken H Lamb 15:28 17 Jan 05

Yes I have run Windows XP wizard on both Desktop and Laptop. I shall try uninstalling McAfee and see if I have any success. Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…