//some 3rd party need geo

Network Problems

BigMan24 13:15 02 Apr 05

Hi guys,

firstly I'd like to say sorry for the unoriginal discussion topic in this forum.

I've recently moved into a dormatory. There are quite a lot of people with laptops in here as well. I can connect to the internet thru the network we've got here. But most other people can also connect to other computers, and share files. However, I don't have this abilty.

To conncet to the other computers, they go to "My Network Places", then go to "View workgroup computers" and there's a big list of compuetr names on the screen and they can connect that way.

But when i follow the same routine this does not work for me.

Someone told me to download an advanced IP scanner, I done that and can ping other compuetrs, but i canot connect to them.

Does anyone know what my problem could be and how to fix it?

Or does anyone know any programs I could download to conncet to the other computers?

Thanks very much!

Michendi 13:22 02 Apr 05

Need to know the following: -

1. OS (include version and service pack info)
2. Firewall
3. AntiVirus
4. Network card

BigMan24 13:42 02 Apr 05

thanks for the quick reply!

1. XP Home SP2
2. ZoneAlarm
3. Norton Antivirus
4. Not too sure of this, could u tell me how I can find out?

Cheers!

selfbuild 18:37 02 Apr 05

belong to the same workgroup as the others?

LastChip 22:56 02 Apr 05

Turn OFF all firewalls. SP2 turns ON the XP firewall by default and I see you are using Zone Alarm too. Turn all of them off and see if you can now see the network properly. They can be configured later on once you have your network running.

Note selfbuilds suggestion. You MUST be on the SAME Workgroup, but your Computer Name MUST be UNIQUE on the network.

Once you have the network up and running, choose which Firewall you wish to use (I recommend ZA), and use that one only. Running two Firewalls together are almost guaranteed to produce problems at some stage.

BigMan24 01:45 03 Apr 05

thanks again for the quick replies, sorry i've not been able to answer quicker.

Yeah, I'm in the same workgroup.

I'll try turning all the firewalls off, but how can i do that?

cheers!

BigMan24 02:06 03 Apr 05

Hey guys again,

so I tried turning off the firewalls. Windows Firewall was already turned off (is that a good thing?)
I turned off ZA by putting the setting down to the lowest.
and now I can connecct to other computers.

but, obviously i'm very vulnerable with the firewall switched off. So my question now is, how do i configure zone alarm to let me connect to other computers, but still protect me from the nasty things on the net?

Thanks very much!

LastChip 15:53 03 Apr 05

You need to tell Zone Alarm, the range of addresses that are being used on your network, so the first thing to do, is find this out.

Open a Command Prompt (you will find this in Programs; Accessories) and type this command;

ipcong /all

(note the space between ipconfig and the /all)

You will now be able to see a load of mumbo jumbo, but the important things are;

1. IP Address

2. Subnet Mask

3. Default Gateway

The first is what you want to concentrate on, as you can already access the Internet. If you couldn't, the Gateway comes into play, but that's another story.

Now armed with 1 from above, open up Zone Alarm (ZA) and click on Firewall; Zones; and select; Add; Range. If the addresses found from the above, were in the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 FOR EXAMPLE, enter in the boxes you now have in ZA;

and

Now select OK.

Note the first entry will start from the "0" address and the second to the last address that has a value of 255. If you can establish what the highest address is on the network, you can substitute the last address number in place of 255. Sorry if this is sounding mumbo jumbo, but the point I am trying to make, is you can lock down your firewall even tighter, by just using the range of addresses currently being used on your network. Clearly, this is ONLY an example, you MUST use the range of addresses being use on your particular network, which could also be the;

10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255

range, amongst others.

This will be shown as a "Trusted" range, and ZA will allow all data traffic through. Be aware however, if one of the machines on the network gets a virus that spreads via a network, you WILL be in the firing line, but this can be mitigated by having the very latest definitions on your anti-virus software. Don't back off this very important chore in network management. You MUST keep your anti-virus software up to date.

Don't try and use XP's Firewall and ZA together. It's asking for conflicts and trouble.

Hopefully, you should now be able to reset ZA to at least Medium and possibly High and still be able to access the network.

Let us know please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…