network problems

griffo 15:14 15 May 04

tried an earlier post called network setup which hasn't had any response. Thought I would try to add a network client (as this seems to be one possibility?) but when I try either Microsoft Family Logon or Client for Networks it says only " only 1 instance allowed" - so no go there.
When I go into Neighbourhood Network, only my W98 PC shows. If I click on Entire Network, then the other PC shows and if I expand it I can see the printer I wish to share, but can't get it to work. When I select that printer for a document, I get the 'illegal operation' box and get shut out.
Can anyone help please?

LeadingMNMs 15:24 15 May 04

Have you shared the printer. This is done by going into the printer setup on the host machine and go to the sharing tab. Ensure that the printer is set to share and give it a name. To use that printer drivers will probably need to be installed on each machine that is to use it. Can you transfer files around your network without any problems ?

griffo 15:36 15 May 04

have set the sharing on the Host PC. Can't even see the other PC in Network Neighbourhood at present. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not! When it's there and I click to expand the detail, I see the printer. If I double click it, I am invited to install it on this PC, but that seems to run into problems with files not being found etc. I have just downloaded the latest drivers from HP onto this PC, hoping it might help but as mentioned, I cannot see the other PC now!!

LeadingMNMs 15:39 15 May 04

Can you open a command prompt and type "ping computername" where computername is obviously replaced with the name it has be given on the network or its IP address. When this is run do all the packets get there or fail ?

griffo 17:34 15 May 04

you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge - I know I've done the 'ping' thing before but can't remember how ie; how to get a command prompt - is that restarting in DOS?
Also where do I go on each PC to see what its' name is?
Sorry to be thick - is it any wonder I'm struggling. Really appreciate you trying to help.

ensonricky 17:52 15 May 04

Use the run command in the start menu.

griffo 17:57 15 May 04

ta - did that, seemed to work ie; got responses but the dialogue box disappears before I can read all the details!

Mankster 18:00 15 May 04

or go to start /run and just type cmd then click ok

ensonricky 18:39 15 May 04

Just hold down the pause/break button on you keyboard to view at end of ping.

griffo 19:30 15 May 04

done that - phew you have to be quick!! Got 3 OK replies, there is something after that but cannot time the Pause/Break right to see it. Does 3 OK replies mean it's OK? If so, what next??

ensonricky 20:19 15 May 04

Have you tried Mankster's suggestion and typing cmd at the Run field and then pinging in the same way as you have done before from the Command Line. This will give you a comprehensive summary of your ping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…