network problem- renewal of address (DHCP)

Ivor_Monkey 11:18 22 Feb 04

Home network works fine except for XP machine gets ocassional BSOD when online. I guess it is something to do with the following event. I have a Linksys router.
Does anyone know how to correct this, please.

The Event Viewer reported the following:
==============================
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1003
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0004xxxxxxxx. The following error occured:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Thnaks.

anon1 12:22 22 Feb 04

on the xp machine go to network connections in the control panel and right click the connection in question and choose the repair option. It may work. Failing that click here
may be of help

mgmcc 12:32 22 Feb 04

In the Router's LAN settings, have a look to see what the "Lease Time" is for IP addresses allocated by DHCP. It may be set for too short a time - I have mine set to "Forever".

Taran 12:44 22 Feb 04

It's worth leaving IP addressing refresh rates alone in general.

You can run a manual refresh or purge the cache easily enough.

Start, Run, type cmd and click OK.

Type this into your command prompt for all the options:

ipconfig/?

You can also check out the options for viewing the status of your connection by running this:

netstat/?

Which model of router do you have and have you altered the default settings in any way ?

Ivor_Monkey 08:42 24 Feb 04

Thanks. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've at work.

The router is a linksys BEFSR41 V2 cable/DSL router with 10/100 4 port switch. The only changes I've made are the mac cloning address. I use the mac address for the machine closer to the router (win98). Would it improve things if I use the XP mac address.

Here are the results from ipconfig/? Below those are the results from net/stats/?. Do they help?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\John>ipconfig/?

USAGE:
ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
/flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
/showclassid adapter |
/setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
adapter Connection name
(wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:
/? Display this help message
/all Display full configuration information.
/release Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
/renew Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
/flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
/registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
/displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
/showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
/setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

Examples:
> ipconfig ... Show information.
> ipconfig /all ... Show detailed information
> ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters
> ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its
name starting with EL
> ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,
eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or
"Local Area Connection 2"

C:\Documents and Settings\John>

Results from netstat/?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\John>netstat/?

Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP network connections.

NETSTAT [-a] [-e] [-n] [-o] [-s] [-p proto] [-r] [interval]

-a Displays all connections and listening ports.
-e Displays Ethernet statistics. This may be combined with the -s
option.
-n Displays addresses and port numbers in numerical form.
-o Displays the owning process ID associated with each connection.
-p proto Shows connections for the protocol specified by proto; proto
may be any of: TCP, UDP, TCPv6, or UDPv6. If used with the -s
option to display per-protocol statistics, proto may be any of:
IP, IPv6, ICMP, ICMPv6, TCP, TCPv6, UDP, or UDPv6.
-r Displays the routing table.
-s Displays per-protocol statistics. By default, statistics are
shown for IP, IPv6, ICMP, ICMPv6, TCP, TCPv6, UDP, and UDPv6;
the -p option may be used to specify a subset of the default.
interval Redisplays selected statistics, pausing interval seconds
between each display. Press CTRL+C to stop redisplaying
statistics. If omitted, netstat will print the current
configuration information once.

Thanks for your advice.

Taran 09:31 24 Feb 04

Ummm, slight misunderstanding.

My fault - perhaps I should have explained things more thoroughly.

When I suggested these two commands:

Type this into your command prompt for all the options:

ipconfig/?

You can also check out the options for viewing the status of your connection by running this:

netstat/?

What I meant was that they would give you the various options available for each one and that you should use one or more of those options for diagnostics.

Using the /? on a DOS switch displays help and information on the command you applied it to, hence netstat/? or ipconfig/? or format/? will all give you a long list of additional switches you can use as well as explanations of what those switches do.

Example:

ipconfig/? gives you loads of options and near the bottom of the screen it tells you that -

ipconfig = Show information

ipconfig /all = Show detailed information

ipconfig /renew = renew all adapters

and so on.

I should have explained in more detail. The commands with /? after them just show you a list of possible options and explains what those options will do.

Mac cloning is not something I like in general. It has its uses in certain circumstances but it is often misused in the wrong situations. Unless you are using one of the 'From Hell' ISPs that throws a wobbly when connecting via a router or with multiple machines I see little value in MAC cloning.

Ivor_Monkey 20:09 25 Feb 04

Taran
whoops, apologies for misunderstandindg. Which of the options do you suggest I take. As you see, I am now confused at a slightly higher level (which is good). Thanks for your patience.

Mac cloning seems to be necessary. I run the Linksys router with telewest cable. I didn't think it could be done any other way? I don;t think mac cloning is the source of the BSOD coz there was wasn;t a problem for a long time.

I'm thinking that I might have to repair/reinstall XP.

Taran 21:34 25 Feb 04

OK, before we think about getting radical, can you confirm whether you have any software firewalls runnning and if so, which product and which version ?

Ditto to your antivirus software - product and version please.

Finally, who is your ISP/broadband supplier ?

Mac cloning is generally ISP dependant and is mainly a requirement of cable providers who seem to think you should register your MAC address with them. I'd check with your ISP whether it is a requirement. If it isn't, remove the static settings and just set the PC to boot and obtain its details using DHCP from the router.

Normally your router is the access point and your computers connected to it merely share it as a network hub for local file sharing and broadband sharing. Cable providers used to like you to register the MAC address of the LAN card of your PC and some providers would allow up to and including X number of registered MAC addresses on your account.

In general I prefer where possible to set up the router with the ISP then simply plug every PC that needs it into one of its ports, set up a file share and tell them to get their emails/web access via LAN. You router, being a network hub, broadband modem and often a firewall as well is the top level if you like of your LAN, so having your connected PCs booting using DHCP means they get their addresses from the router and the router is set to use the ISP.

The vagaries of different ISPs means that this is not always possible. I plug Linux boxes, Apple Macs and Win98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP Home and Pro machines in and out of my router at home and all I do is set the network to obtain information using DHCP, send and receive emails and access the web over LAN and that's that. MAC cloning would drive me up the wall in my own situation.

I've seen everything from certain software firewalls, one popular mainstream antivirus software product and on one occasion a dodgy cable cause DHCP errors.

You could certainly try running a system file checker if you have a Windows CD.

Start, Run, type cmd then click OK.

In the command prompt window type this:

sfc/scannow

then hit your Enter key.

Can you recall when it started happening whether you can link it to a software or hardware install ?

oglemire 21:47 25 Feb 04

dhcp will attempt to renew its lease after 50% of the lease time has expired with the dhcp srver that it took the lease from .. after 87.5% it will attempt to renew its lease from any dhcp server it can find.

i would start by using static ip addresses. you could even go to the services control panal under administrative tools and disable the dhcp client service. if your BSOD is related to the event you described, which is unlikely, your problem will be resolved

Ivor_Monkey 19:19 28 Feb 04

Taran and oglemire.
Thnaks for your advice. Sorry for my delay in replying, but I've been busy at work and often only get weekends to play around with the machines.
As regards firewalls, I use sygate on both XP and win98 machines. In terms of anti-virus I use norton. ISP is my telewest. As far as I understand it, Telwest has no problems with routers and my setup is as you describe with the ISP taking the details for the router. and IP addresses being got automatcally.

As regards when the problem started, it has been happening for some months. Initially I only heard about it when may son told me weeks after it started, so not easy to relate to any installs. The problem is 1 or 2 BSOD per day, but very annoying when you're in the middle of a winning game. Since it only seemed to happen when he was playing age of mythology, I thought it was related to that game. But on reflection during that period he was only using the computer for that game, so it wasn;t much a test.

I will try your suggestions and report back. Thanks for your time. It is much appreciated.

Taran 19:54 28 Feb 04

emember above where I said "I've seen everything from I've seen everything from certain software firewalls..." ?

Sygate was that "certain software firewall" and in that particular case, temporarily disabling it proved the point and updating to the very latest version fixed it.

Keep in mind that in most cases your router IS a hardware firewall and in that event the only real benefit of running a software firewall as well is if you want to mintor any new outbound traffic requests. This is one of the many benefits of a router from the outset - most of them are a combined ADSL modem/network hub/hardware firewall and in most cases the firewall abilities of them far outstrips any software solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…