Network problem - lost internet connection

webber_man 17:20 07 Nov 04

I set up a home network after much aggro and hair loss (see how i manged it here click here ) but the other day my internet connection was lost for a few hours (Pipex went down) and ever since i have been unable to connect through my laptop - which is connected to my desktop that's connected to the internet. My desktop can connect without a problem. And if i hook up my modem to my laptop then that connects ok - i just can't share the connection.

Once again i've fiddled, read and then re-read various posts here and elsewhere on the net but i still can't get the darn thing to work.

I have a HP desktop running XP Home which connects to broadband. It's hooked up to a ethernet router/hub which is in turn connected to my laptop running XP Pro. I can share files ok, and the printer etc. just can't get onto the world wide web!

If anyone has any ideas or tips i'd be very grateful!

webber_man 19:20 07 Nov 04

ACOLYTE 19:33 07 Nov 04

could be a firewall issue,if the lan works ok i had same problem but with 2 desktop pcs had ZA installed and no matter what i did it wouldnt share connection even though it would connect and both pcs said they were connected,i turned off ZA to test it and bingo worked first time.Also you could try running the network setup wizard on both machines again.

webber_man 19:53 07 Nov 04

I have tried both running the network setup wizard and turning off ZA on both computers - still with no joy.

As far as i can tell nothing has changed since before my Pipex connection went down so its all a bit strange

ACOLYTE 20:01 07 Nov 04

Have you checked that ZA has put the connections in the trusted zone for some reason when i set up connections it always puts them in internet zone first.If you have a crossover lan cable try connecting both machines together with that and missing the router out.

webber_man 22:06 07 Nov 04

Both connections are in the trusted Zone of ZA - ive also used just a cross-over cable...both to no effect

easyrider 18:52 10 Nov 04

Is it possible that internet connection sharing has been disabled?

webber_man 19:04 10 Nov 04

Thanks for the reply - no, internet sharing is enabled. I just can't seem to what setting i need to re-set to make the darn thing work. As mentioned before i didn't change anything when the connection was lost last week.

BBez 20:01 10 Nov 04

flush the browser cache, clear temp files etc, on the laptop first...

If the router is using DHCP to assign IP addressing to the laptop you could do a start, run then type "cmd" without quotes in the run box then type "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes to renew the NIC...

You can obtain the IP address of the local default gateway by using the ipconfig /renew command.

To Test Connections by Using "ping.exe"

If you can ping a remote computer's IP but not the ComputerName (Time out), this is likely caused by a name resolution failure, rather than network connectivity.

You need to check the network settings such as DHCP, DNS, WINS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

If you cannot ping both IP and ComputerName,

1) Ping the loopback address (by using the ping command) to verify that TCP/IP is installed and working correctly on the local computer.

2) Ping the IP address of the local computer to verify that it was added to the network correctly.

3) Ping the IP address of the default gateway to verify that the gateway is functional and it is possible to connect to a local host on the local network.

4) Ping the IP address of another remote host to verify that you can communicate through a router.

(e.g. ping click here)

If you still having trouble, recheck router settings for your ISP (pipex)...

howard60 20:21 10 Nov 04

just a thought look at the driver in control panel - system - hardware devices - device manager - network adaptors - properties and see if the 802... device is enabled. These sometimes switch to disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…