Network Problem

DMX777 16:50 12 Apr 03

I have two computers. one with XP and one with 98SE. The XP has a 451mhz and 192mb sdram and the 98SE has a 633mhz and 64mb SDram. I try to network these computers, but it just wont work, the cables are connected but the computers just wont talk. before i got the 98SE computer, i had another 98SE computer, and it was succesfully networked to the XP computer. could u help. thanx.

recap 16:55 12 Apr 03

Have you started from scratch with the networking wizard in XP?

Have you checked the naming of the new computer on the network?

Normally the higher spec computer should be the first in the line for networking.

Have you turned off the Firewall on the XP machine?

DMX777 19:19 12 Apr 03

ya, i used the wizard in XP, but when i tried to copy it to a floppy, it said "Cannot read from source fil" or sumthin.

i cheked the naming

what does "Normally the higher spec computer should be the first in the line for networking." mean?

yes i turned off the firewall.
it still doesnt work

thanks

microswift 20:04 12 Apr 03

If you connect your networked computers to the internet the higher specc'd PC (in your case it would seem the 98se would be the higher specc'd) is directly connected to the internet and becomes the "gateway" the other computer is then connected to the gateway PC using crossover cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…