Network probem with Zone Alarm

gordon.t 15:52 14 Nov 05

I have 2 pc's linked by a cat 5 crossover cable.The host pc runs xp pro, the client runs 2000 pro.With the windows firewall on the host pc (xp pro) switched on, all works well - shared internet connection, file sharing, printer sharing.As soon as I run Zone Alarm (free version)on the host pc, the network no longer works.What do I need to do to get Zone Alarm to allow network access?I've searched loads of previous threads on this subject and can only find a reference to getting the network into Zone Alarm's "trusted" zone. How do I do this? Thanks

Devil Fish 16:38 14 Nov 05

what you need to do is add the ip adress and subnet mask to the trusted zone for the machine you are trying to connect

i have not used zone alarm for a long time but it should explain it in the help menu look for something along the lines of trusted zone or adding ip adresses to trusted zone

hope this is of some help

gordon.t 16:46 14 Nov 05

I have found a previous thread with some advice. I changed the internet zone security setting to medium and entered the ip address range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.20 into the trusted zone - but still no luck!

gordon.t 16:48 14 Nov 05

Do I really need Zone Alarm? Is the windows firewall sufficient?

gordon.t 16:52 14 Nov 05

How do I find the exact ip address of the client pc?

Devil Fish 17:03 14 Nov 05

to find ip adress using xp click start then run inthe box type cmd you will get a black box come up then type ipconfig/all press enter then look down the list for ip adress

Windows firewall offers basic defense against incoming traffic many people prefer an alternative for the ability to track incoming and outgoing traffic

Devil Fish 17:04 14 Nov 05

oops should be type cmd click ok

gordon.t 17:26 14 Nov 05

Thanks for that. The ip address of the client was 192.168.0.79 subnet mask 255.255.255.0.I entered this into the trusted zone as a subnet and it works!! Brilliant!! Thanks very much for your help Devil Fish. Easy when you know how.

Devil Fish 17:50 14 Nov 05

great stuff good to hear your up and running

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017