Network printing with NTFS/Win XP

**nada** 21:47 08 Feb 03

I have recently added a new computer to my network - with win xp pro (using ntfs); all the computers are connected to a router (with built in 8 port hub - netgear fvs318). There is also a printer connected to the hub (an ethernet cable goes straight from the printer to the hub - it has a built in print server (I think)). All computers on the network work fine and can print, except for the new computer which can access the network fine (i.e. access other computers' files) but cannot print via ethernet. It will however print if the same printer (tektronix phaser 850dp) is shared on another computer. Also if I type the printer's ip address into internet explorer, on the other computers - the normal printer settings page comes up, but the new computer cannot access this.

All other computers use FAT32 + Win98, and to see if these computers were preventing access to the printer I disconnected all of them except the new computer (leaving the printer as well) and still printing did not work - so I presume the problem is not about ntfs and fat32 not being compatible in this setup, but to do with ntfs+win xp not wanting to work with the printer itself. Just to make it more confusing, the printer has worked a couple of times randomly (on the new comp), without any changes being made to any of the computers or any of them being shut down. Maybe, is it that I need to download something special for windows xp or ntfs to work with the printer? I have checked the printer’s website for drivers etc, but there seems to be nothing appropriate, and windows is up to date.

I hope this all makes sense

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…