network printing and netgear adsl modem/router

automan 22:18 01 Mar 04

i have installed a DG834G netgear wireless modem/router. everything works fine but i would like to know if the printer is attached to one of the network computers via usb, does that have to be on for the wireless laptop to print anything.
with the computer to which the printer is attached, if it is off i get a message on the laptop that the printer spooling service is not operational.
the comp with the printer is attached to the router with a cat 5 cable, and i have enabled printer sharing on it.

LastChip 22:39 01 Mar 04

From what you describe, you do not have a network printer. Now let me try and explain.

What you have is a printer that is primarily a one computer printer, but which can be shared via your network resources. In order for this to happen, the computer to which your printer is connected, must be on in order that the print service is available. Hence the message you are getting.

A proper network printer, will have it's own network card (or print server) and will be a network device in it's own right. Therefore, it will be configured with it's own address and so on. It would be most unusual, to find a pucker network printer on a home network setup.

silliw 20:45 24 Oct 04

These are now quite cheap and you can pickup a Linksys USB print Server for about £40 to attach to your router. This will then free up your host machine and allow all users to use the printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac