network printing

Marko797 15:28 28 Dec 07

Have just set up wife's Vista (Home Premium) laptop on network with my XP (Home) desktop. Have transferred required files into My Sharing Files, which I can see from the laptop.

All seemed well until, 2 problems arose:

1. Can't print to the shared printer from laptop. (Printer is installed on both pc & laptop)

2. Trying to access the shared files gives an adminstrator rights error

Can someone tell me, in simple terms, what I've forgotten to do?

Do I need to amend administrator rights in the desktop pc, or both?

This hasn't been as simple as I thought it would have been! Thanks in advance.

Marko797 15:37 28 Dec 07

meant to add we are connected to network, & internet, via wi-fi router

D-ave-pty 17:26 30 Dec 07

Hey Marko797,

I was having the same problem, until I found this solution:

click here

The last post about installing the printer as a local printer was the savour for me!

I did post a step by step guide but when I clicked post it didn't submit!!

Let me know if that helps,
Dave

Marko797 11:22 31 Dec 07

I'll wade thru the stuff later, & thanks for taking the time to dig it out. Seems things have worsened really, & the 'network' seems to have got 'lost' somewhere.

I have a thomson speedtouch wi-fi router for connecting to the internet on AOL. In order to get this network, which I'm trying to set up, to work, do I need an adapter for the desktop? I was under the impression that I didn't, but cud b wrong.

When I go thru the network set up process from desktop xp, I save the settings to usb pen drive, then go to the laptop & plug in the pen drive(info transferred) then go back to the desktop and plug it in again. The network seems to have set up, but then the issue of file sharing and printing occurs. This morning, no network at all, so maybe I do need the adapter.

Can anyone advise me before I go mad with this?

conan_troutman 12:36 31 Dec 07

i downloaded a grewat program called network magic

click here

it really helped me to set up my printer on vista

I use a Belkin N1 router and a Belkin wirells G all in one print server.

set up on my main PC and network magic did the rest.

conan_troutman 12:39 31 Dec 07

I set up the printer as an IP printer do not know if that makes any diiferences

D-ave-pty 17:31 31 Dec 07

Marko797,

How is your pc currently connected to the internet? From what you posted in the initial post I assumed that your pc was connected to your router via network cable. If that is the case then your won't need a wireless adapter.

Cheers,
Dave

D-ave-pty 17:34 31 Dec 07

conan_troutman,

I am always a little reluctant to buy extra software when the O/S should do it already!! But I am glad that it helped resolve your vista -> network printer issue.

Marko797 19:26 31 Dec 07

conan, I tried that prog but it told me all was well, when it wasn't in fact. Still had printer probs.

Yes Dave, I have managed to work that one out with the help of aol too. The connections are as you say, & no, I don't need the adapter apparently.

The problems still remain on file sharing and printer saga, but I'll get around to trying again in the New Year :) Not had chance to read the stuff yet Dave, sorry.

Marko797 19:30 31 Dec 07

I managed to get shared files onto the network. Problem is, when I try and access from the laptop 1. it takes ages, then 2. it denies access and spouts administrator rights stuff at me. I'm at a loss really.

conan_troutman 20:42 31 Dec 07

You can use the most basic functions for free but you get the advanced functions for 7 days then you have to pay for a licence which is good for upto 8 PC on your network.

if you stop sharing the printer then use netwrok magic to share it it will automatically install the drivers onto all the PC that need them.

My set up consists of one Vista PC one XP laptop

one belkin n1 router and one belikin print server.

and one canon mp360 printer

I had the printer installed to the PC originally but wanted to share it with the laptop I did everything to do it and nothing worked in the end it was network magic the fixed it for me( what it did was install the driver for the MP360 onto the laptop, the only step I had not taken)

the problem I then found is every time I want to print fromn the laptop I need to have the PC switched on...hence the addition of the wireless print server...now both pc and laptop can print when both or only one of them os on.

er to put it short have you got your printer drivers installed on both PCs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video