network printer problem home xp

m-221519 13:19 10 Feb 05

What exactly do I put in wizard box that says URL Server/Printers/My Printers/Printer.I get error message about no connection with server or URL spelt wrong.I have xp firewall on both computers,laptop and main,would this affect configuration.My internet connection works fine on laptop and main computer prints ok.The add printer wizard will not let me go any further than this.Drivers ok and ports ok.Any help greatly appreciated.

LeadingMNMs 13:25 10 Feb 05

How is the printer connected ? Using USB / Parallel with a host computer, or via a direct ethernet connection to a hub/switch/router etc.

If your connecting to it via a host computer then that computer must be on, and the printer must be shared (check the printers properties).

boot-it-out 16:49 10 Feb 05

Reading your earlier post I gather you're trying to connect your Laptop so that it can print to your Lexmark Printer, and this is connected directly to your desktop PC. Both computers running XP and your Network already set up and working....

I suspect you were trying to set the printer up using the options for Installing a "Network Printer" - which appear to be the correct thing to do, but there is a little caption saying this is only if the Printer is connected to a Print Server ( like a stand alone box or sometimes can be built in tothe router ) ....

... So try this :

If you have already "installed" this printer on your Laptop then delete it and start fresh( Open Printers and Faxes, right click the printer and click Delete).

( Have the desktop computer switched on )

On the Laptop click on "Add a Printer", then select the option for "Local Printer attached to this computer" ( NOT the "NETWORK PRINTER" Option !! ). Also check the "Automatically detect Plug & Play Printer" box, then click Next...

If the wizard does not detect the printer, click Next to select the Printer Port which will show "LPT1:(Recommended Printer Port)".
Click on the down arrow next to this and you should get a list of all available ports./
Towards the bottom of the list you should see the LAN printer port for the Desktop PC - something like : "\\PBALL\LEXMARK (LAN Manager Printer Port)"
Select this click Next then follow the remaining instructions.

Close everything down and hopefully all will now be well :-)

( If you don't see the LAN Printer Port in the list then disable any Firewalls on both PC's, reboot and try again ).

Let us know how you get on !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…