Network Printer

Belfix 14:24 17 Aug 07

Any help appreciated - an old chestnut this one I expect!!
XP Desktop with epson cx6600 usb connected.
Vista Laptop.
Both Laptop & desktop connected together via wifi network dlink 331 wireless router.
File sharing ok, but can I get printer sharing to work - No!.
Desktop has Printer Sharing enabled.
Laptop has Printer sharing on, I can "see" the printer from the laptop, I click on it, it displays "Windows Printer Installation, says it is connecting, and it allows me to select "install driver" and downlaods the driver from the desktop. However, after a short while it stops with an error "Windows cannot connect to the printer, the specified print monitor is unknown".
Any ideas or get 'rounds?

Strawballs 21:51 17 Aug 07

Are the drivers on the XP machine Vista compatible you might have to download and install vista drivers to the laptop.

Belfix 22:10 17 Aug 07

Should be standard drivers, but I suspect the "print monitor" is not or there is not a vista version. However, how can/should I download and where at?

Minkey1 11:15 18 Aug 07

I think I've seen it suggested here that physically installing the printer to the second machine (in this case your Vista laptop) ensures as a starting point that all drivers etc are in place on that machine, and that the printer works normally when directly connected.

Then re-connect the printer to your desktop. In XP it'd then be "Add new network printer" on your laptop but I'm not sure in Vista.

Worth a try ? At least this procedure would throw up any issues with your printer in Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017