Network Places?

Mike Mills 21:44 06 Jun 04

I have just started a new business and have two XP Pro machines networked together using a wireless router, both machines can access the internet and I can share files, however on one machine I can 'see' all of the shared folders opening the 'Network Places' folder, but on the other this folder is empty and I have to 'explore' to find them. Is this normal or should the shared folders appear in the Network Places folder on both machines? If so is there something I need to change? Thanks for any advice.

powerless 21:50 06 Jun 04

Check the shared folders is set to be shared.

Mike Mills 22:02 06 Jun 04

I will certainly check that 1st thing, but I am puzzled as to why all of the shared folders, drives etc show on the one machine in the 'Network Places' folder but the other is completely blank? Will ensuring the 'shared folder' is shared place all the links into the empty 'Network Places' folder? sorry if I am being thick - quite new to networking!!

Numbnuts2001 22:35 06 Jun 04

Check to see if both PC's are in the same workgroup(system properties computer name tab) also check to see if the xp firewall is enabled on one or both machines if it is disable it and see if that makes any differance(network connections, right click service provider, properties, advanced tab.

Mike Mills 07:38 07 Jun 04

Thanks all for your replies - Powerless - you was spot on. Thank you so much. Terry thanks for your suggestion, I had already checked the firewalls and turned them off, the machines are in the same group, I don't think I would have had internet access on both machines or been able to share files if they were not in the same group - but then who knows! lol certainly not me!! Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…