Network over mains - any experiance?

TomG 10:57 27 Dec 06

Hi

Currently running a wireless network but am considering trying out network over mains (where the ethernet cable plugs into a "plug" that goes to the mains).

Has anyone any experiance of this way of networking?

Forum Editor 23:56 27 Dec 06

well, I've worked on one network which used this technology.

What I can say is that the quality of the house wiring system is critical to success - if there are any faults at all the whole thing will stop working.

TomG 10:08 28 Dec 06

Thanks

Maybe a daft question but does the device have to be plugged into the wall socket or could you get away with plugging it into a 4 gang extension?

tb64 14:04 29 Dec 06

It is recommended that they are plugged directly into the wall socket but some have them in 4 way adapters. I take it that you only have 1 socket by your PC?

I have my son's PS2 plugged into one upstairs and then into the router downstairs via a second one. No setting up required, just plugged them in and they act as a 'normal' ethernet cable.

I got mine from ebay, first as a pair and then a matching single unit (spare). They retail for around £30 ea for a 14mbps unit and mine were £40 for the pair and £9 for the single unit, all brand new.

Good luck,

TomG 16:35 29 Dec 06

thanks tb65 - how well do they perform?

Tim1964 00:47 30 Dec 06

TomG,

Unless you plan on constantly transferring large files over the network then the slower units (14Mbps) will be fine. My BB connection is 4Mbps so the transfer rate between the devices is way above that of my net connection and as I use it only for a PS2 I don't transfer any files/audio/video over them.

TomG 16:43 01 Jan 07

thanks - I think i'll try and get some off ebay first to see if they are what i want - what make do you use?

Tim1964 00:05 02 Jan 07

TomG,

O use these click here

They're not the usual 'powerbrick' type but use a standard shaver type mains lead which means they don't stick out from the socket too much.

TomG 11:44 02 Jan 07

thank you - I'll read up on them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5