Network only one computer wll share files

Dan Electro 22:25 29 Aug 05

I'm running XP Home on both my laptop and desktop. I used to be able to share files on both machines. Both connect to the internet but my laptop can receive files from my desktop but not the other way around. I have set my firewall up the same way on both machines, and run the network wizard up several times making sure the share files option is enabled. I should mention that when I try to access files on my laptop from my desktop I get a message to contact my system administrator. What have I done wrong?

Taff36 23:04 29 Aug 05

Do both computers appear in the same workgroup? If not one of them has the wrong workgroup name. In Windows Explorer expand My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network and then select the workgroup.

LastChip 23:07 29 Aug 05

click here and check my post on this same subject. (4th post)

Newuser4165 12:09 30 Aug 05

Alternatively you can check out the following :-
Contro Panel ; Add/Remove Programs ; Add/Remove Windows Components.Select Networking Services from the list and click on Details
Ensure the box marked Simple TCP/IP is ticked - if it isn't you will need to have your installation disk available in order to install the TCP/IP component.

I had this problem - as you can see from a previous post of mine.

What I don't understand is why this component isn't installed by default when setting up a network.

Dan Electro 16:44 30 Aug 05

I hacked the registry on my laptop, changed the DWord to 0 and wahay! it works. So again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…