network ok but ics not working

howard60 09:03 11 Aug 05

I can ping successfully any site ip address from the client pc but cannot get any site to be displayed - server not found message. Pcs on the network can communicate ok. Host pc can connect to the net ok. Any suggestions gratefully received. Host pc xp pro which works ok with other clients. This client ME.

recap 13:35 11 Aug 05

Open a Command Prompt and type the following to check the network time:

net time

You could also try an ipconfig /all command prompt to see if the settings are correct.

Another suggestion is to type nslookup in a command line. This displays information that you can use to diagnose Domain Name System (DNS) infrastructure.

Matt Barlow 14:16 11 Aug 05

Sounds to me like a DNS issue for sure.

Good idea to run IPCONFIG /all on both machines and compare entries.

Gateway and DNS need to be setup and the fact you can ping outside ip addresses tells me the gateway is ok.

NSLOOKUP
(example C:\nslookup pcadvisor.co.uk) will attempt to resolve the domain name to an ip address.

Hope it helps

Matt Barlow 14:17 11 Aug 05

I know this is what recap has just said, I am just echoing it I guess.

howard60 16:10 11 Aug 05

Matt Barlow nslookup just gives bad command or file name. Does anyone know how to get DHCP running on an ME pc?

howard60 16:33 11 Aug 05

Notice on reboot DHCP has an address but second line comes up with PXE-E53 no boot filename received - not a clue as to what this means.

howard60 21:55 12 Aug 05

I have reinstalled ME and have had partial success. I can now get google to open up and some of the sites listed will also open. Windows update and many other sites will not open and have the message server not found. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…