network novice need help

cfcpaul1888 17:40 20 Feb 05

i have 2 xp comps both have ethernet cards what do i need to purchase to surf web on both comps at same time its a 512 broadband connection thanks in advance

FelixTCat 18:08 20 Feb 05

If they are both in the same room as the router, all you need is two lengths of ethernet cable to connect each PC to the router. The process is then virtually automatic.

spikeychris 19:27 20 Feb 05

"what do i need to purchase to surf web on both comps at same time" You don't mention a router in your post. Do you have one? I can here the FE *sigh* but your question "surf web on both comps at same time" would be answered by just feeding a crossover cable between the two machines and running a P2P network.

FelixTCat 19:35 20 Feb 05

Thank you, spikeychris. On rereading the problem I realised that I had assumed that cfcpaul1888 had a router. You are quite correct that if he has a USB ADSL modem, all he needs is one crossover cable between the two computers.

Chezdez 21:20 20 Feb 05

you will need two ethernet cards in the main computer, unless it's connected by USB between the modem and PC? in which case, just a crossover cable between the two PC's, then run network set-up wizard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…