Network nonsense

Newuser579 20:46 21 Apr 03

I am trying to upgrade my PC with a wireless network to link it with my laptop. Having formated the hard disk & a fresh instal of Win Me, puting the PCI adaptor with a wireless PCMCIA card I got this message 'your network adaptor Belkin 11Mbps wireless PCI adaptor card (0001) is not working properly you may need to set it up again. For more info see Windows network trouble shooter in Help.' Wary of ME I started again with Win 98. I still got the same message. I tried reinstalling the software several times to no avail. Windows troubleshooter didn't help. I swapped my PCMCIA (one installed in the laptop ok)cards and got the same message. Any suggestions? The PC has 192k ram & a 550 processor, & has been upgraded to it's current spec which is why the 'clean sheet' start as it seemed to have been getting tempremental.

matt5705 09:08 22 Apr 03

your card maybe faulty or not in right the software sounds all right to me

Newuser579 18:59 22 Apr 03

I'm not sure if it's my ignorance or a faulty card, I'll pull it out & try another slot. The fact the light was on, on the PCMCIA card made me assume it may be something other than a faulty card or adaptor. However I'd not thought of pulling the adaptor out, & refitting it. I'll try this next thanks. Any other suggestions still welcome.

Newuser579 18:52 23 Apr 03

Thanks Matt, I tried it in a different slot, it presents as working now! Unfortunatly my laptop wont link with it now as it says it already has a network adaptor. I've tried to delete the existing card but it keeps re-apearing on reboot so I cant instal the new wireles set-up! Looks like I'll psost again.

hillybilly 20:54 23 Apr 03

If your using win98 Right Click on My Computer and then Left Click on device manager. look down the list of hardware until you find network card you dont want to use and highlight it. Now click on theproperties button and it will open up a window with a small checkbox in the lower left corner which you can click on to disable the the device. Once you have rebooted it should not give you anymore problems.

Newuser579 19:18 24 Apr 03

It's great this, I'm actualy on ME. However I'll try your suggestion in device manager. I'm impressed a thicky like me can at least attempt this stuff, & have some help available when it all goes wrong! Thanks Hillybilly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…