//some 3rd party need geo

Network-more than one network adapter

Greengage 15:05 21 Jan 04

My NTL modem is via NIC. I wanted to establish a network subsequently between my desktop PC( Win98SE) and laptop (WinXP). This meant that I had to purchase another NIC which is installed, with the previous one, on the desktop PC.
I was fully aware, from articles on this site and others, that there could be a conflict insofaras the two NIC's are both Belkin. When installing, the second card I was able, through advice given on a "help" line, to differentiate one card from the other when looking at the Network Control Panel.
Having installed also the Belkin set-up Cd, when I try to establish the network between the two computers I get the message:

"You have more than one network adapter installed. You will need to use network control panel to adjust settings. Do you want to start network control panel "

Can anyone please advise what I need to do and how to adjust the settings and what settings I need to adjust.

spikeychris 16:02 21 Jan 04

You could of used a USB connector to the host machine for the net then the NIC for the network. Theres always a problem if the cards are the same but is one of the NIC's being used now for the net? and is TCPIP pointing at either/both of the cards?

Greengage 11:00 22 Jan 04

Thanks for your response spikeychris.
I originally used USB for the net but it kept failing - VIA problems - so had to change to NIC hence one of them is being used for net.
When looking at network control panel, both cards are shown together with further lines referring to TCP/IP against each.

spikeychris 16:46 22 Jan 04

Have you got this one sussed Greengage? if not post back.

Greengage 17:51 23 Jan 04

Thanks for your enquiry spikeychris. I have been working on this problem almost all day having been directed to a site (from previous threads) which gave instructions how to get the network up and running manually and adjusting the settings. This has failed miserably and I have only just restored my internet connection, through trial & error, as this has been down all afternoon through the various settings made and the procedures I followed.
I remain stumped and any other help you can offer would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…